storing roofing cement

I have a fair amount of leftover roofing cement, which I would likely be able to use in the next year or two. Times past, leftovers always dry out too much to use. Once, _long_ ago, we put water on top ... which rusted the can. Oops.
Does anyone know of a way to preserve this stuff?
Thanks, G
On 10/25/2013 10:28 AM, George wrote:

The storage enemy is air.
To maximize storage life, transfer the remainder of the cement to smaller airtight containers that you can fill within 1/4" of the top. Seal with an airtight lid.

Give it a shot of an inert gas, then seal it.
viz. bloxygen.
On 10/25/2013 11:53 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

My guess, the solvents are evaporating. Either through the can, or the can seal.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
writes:

Right! Fart in the can, and get roof cement all over your ass.
On 10/25/2013 8:18 PM, tommy wrote:

Naah, you wait for late night TV, and buy "Fart in a Can". And we'll throw in a whoopie cushion, too! But, wait.....
Fart in a can, does that make you a buttstucker?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/25/2013 07:28 AM, George wrote:

I've been working on the same can of Henry I've had for over 10 years now and it's still just fine (sometimes I have to give it a stir, though).
Jon

I've had gallon cans half empty sitting in my garage for several years and it was still fine when I next went to use it. Maybe you aren't putting the cap back on tight?
On Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:16:17 PM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Generally for stuff that dries out I use saran wrapped layed on top of the material as well as the move to a container that it fills completely. Both seem to help but everything seems to eventually dry out given enough time. The one I really can't even slow down is opened pure silicon caulk. Even with the tip well sealed it still slowly hardens from the tip in.