Storing Paint?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:36:09 -0400, BillinDetroit

Don't forget, it also works for expensive polymerizing oils.
For latex, I buy $0.89 empty quart cans.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

plastic food wrap (aka Saran and a half-dozen other brands) across the top surface of the paint. If it should someohw skin over, the skin will come out with the wrap. You might also put another layer just over the opening when sealing.
I tend to use mine up ... if I only have a half-gallon left over I'm likely to go back over the room or whatever with an additional coat over the parts (outside corners, near doors, etc) that are more likely to take wear. You might also, as another poster mentioned, decant it into smaller containers ... quart spaghettis juice jars should work just fine and, with a small amount of foresight, be free. There -definitely- use the cling-wrap stuff over the mouth and across the threads.
The key in any of these suggestions is to impose a barrier between the paint and air or other contaminants.
The moisture that is causing the rust primarily comes from the paint itself. Putting a barrier over it keeps it from losing the moisture -- and that keeps it from skinning over.
Just a guess.
Bill
--
I\'m not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

Finished a tank of ArgoShield for the MIG welder today and got to thinking.... Recommended shield gas for general purpose MIG is 80% Argon, 15% CO2, and 5% O2. Just wondering if this would be a good substitute for the commercial O2 displacement products such as Bloxogen. When I'm at welding supply house tomoorow I'll talk about other mixes and prices.
Jerry

A Lurker wrote:

Propane is heavier than air. A shot of propane from a small plumbing torch (unlit) will displace the oxygen in the can. Without oxygen there should be no rusting of the can or skimming of the paint.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I've got partial cans of exterior latex 20 yrs old (why?) that I put Saran wrap over the top before I pounded the lid down and they were still good when I opened them a few weeks ago. Plus it made them easier to open. I did turn them upside down and shake them about once every 5 years.
A Lurker wrote:
> > Finished a tank of ArgoShield for the MIG welder today and got to > thinking.... Recommended shield gas for general purpose MIG is 80% Argon, > 15% CO2, and 5% O2. Just wondering if this would be a good substitute for > the commercial O2 displacement products such as Bloxogen. When I'm at > welding supply house tomoorow I'll talk about other mixes and prices.
An el-Cheapo propane torch.
Been using one for years.
Lew
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Whenever I buy a 4litre can of paint (water based), the first time I open it I decant it into 1 litre plastic jars. This is of course if I'm not going to use it all within a couple of weeks. I find that when the next jar is opened the paint is like new. regards John
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:29:55 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When I store paint I flip the can upside down after securing the lid. I don't have issues and my storage space IS damp.
Saran Wrap loosely across the opening then put the lid on.
--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn\'t see it, ya didn\'t feel it.