Storing Paint?

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:1185078595.245349.206720@

57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

Finished a tank of ArgoShield for the MIG welder today and got to thinking.... Recommended shield gas for general purpose MIG is 80% Argon,

15% CO2, and 5% O2. Just wondering if this would be a good substitute for the commercial O2 displacement products such as Bloxogen. When I'm at welding supply house tomoorow I'll talk about other mixes and prices.

Jerry

Reply to
A Lurker

Propane is heavier than air. A shot of propane from a small plumbing torch (unlit) will displace the oxygen in the can. Without oxygen there should be no rusting of the can or skimming of the paint.

Reply to
Nova

I don't know if this applies but here goes anyways...At work I sometimes store oxidizing chemicals with anti-oxidation balls. They are just hard plastic spheres that float on the liquid. I think us plastics sells them.

Keep the air off an oxidizer and it will not oxidize...I'd guess this applies to paint as well.

Reply to
Joe

I've got partial cans of exterior latex 20 yrs old (why?) that I put Saran wrap over the top before I pounded the lid down and they were still good when I opened them a few weeks ago. Plus it made them easier to open. I did turn them upside down and shake them about once every 5 years.

Reply to
gemniii

An el-Cheapo propane torch.

Been using one for years.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

G'day, Whenever I buy a 4litre can of paint (water based), the first time I open it I decant it into 1 litre plastic jars. This is of course if I'm not going to use it all within a couple of weeks. I find that when the next jar is opened the paint is like new. regards John

Reply to
John B

I always store my paint upside down and NEVER have a problem with rust, gunk, "skinning" or any other problem. I use a marker to label the side of the can (upside down) so I know which paint is for which room without having to turn it over first to read the label. And when I'm ready to use, I shake the can hard for a good 15 seconds BEFORE opening it to get it mixed up. I have paint that I have re- used for touch up years after purchase!

--Jeff

Reply to
JB

When I store paint I flip the can upside down after securing the lid. I don't have issues and my storage space IS damp.

Reply to
Marc Britten

Saran Wrap loosely across the opening then put the lid on.

Reply to
asmurff

Hate it when that happens

Reply to