Storing an old carburator

Nice ideas. I'd wondered about the 'washer trick' myself in the past - that'd probably be the first thing I'd try as it should be realtively easy; if the throttle stops weren't seized onto the shafts of the carbs that I have, it's be a ten minute job to try it. Anything that reduces the air leak will help, after all.

Hadn't thought of peening. As I said in my other post, the metal on these carbs seem to be pretty soft, so there's a good chance that would be possible.

O-ring - not sure there. I bet the holes wear oval due to the forces on them, so maybe that would either be too tight or not seal nicely.

Ha ha! :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The carb bodies are "generally" die cast zinc. The best way to re-bush one is to take a good one and fixture it on the mill, using an end-mill, reamer, or transfer punch as a locator, then put the old carb in the fixture with a larger end mill or reamer, then press in new bushings and mill/ream back to proper size , again in the fixture.

Reply to
clare

On 5/25/2011 8:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

All of this has one thing in that I've previously mentioned lacking..."mill" :)

Reply to
dpb

If you have a "tight" drillpress you can do the same. Cutting zinc is not terribly hard. The secret is in the "fixturing" to hold the carb rigidly square to the cutter and accurately in position.

Reply to
clare

On 5/25/2011 9:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

From previous posting...

I do suspect could manage if really gave it a try but so far it's been possible to find a replacement (although the last one may have been the end of line on new replacements for that particular model; it was only a new old-stock happen to find distributor w/ a couple still on hand that saved having to do something different then and that's been several years now)...

As long as it's close enough the throttle plate shaft doesn't bind and the throttle plate ends up reasonable well centered in the throat, it's not terribly critical. Hitting "pretty near" center would be ok.

--

Reply to
dpb

I've done this with automotive carbs. I hosed them out good with spray carb cleaner, let them dry thoroughly, then stored them in a closed up cardboard box so they stay clean. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
DFBonnett