Storing an Auto Battery?

stan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p23g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

Damn that popped a memory bubble. When I was a kid we went on some tour of the local phone company. Vague images of some basement with all those batteries IIR.

Reply to
Red Green

Official weather data shows awfully little at most presence anywhere outside Antarctica anytime of outdoor temperature close to or colder than what was quoted earlier in this thread as being what it takes to freeze a fully charged lead-acid battery.

On the other hand, my father has his ideas as to what are the three coldest places anywhere humans experience. And he talked about someone who moved from Chicago to Yellowknife, at least in part to get better weather. ("Not much improvement.")

3rd-coldest: The bus stop on Michigan Ave in Chicago where my father at one time had to wait for a bus to go to school. 2nd-coldest: An outhouse in rural northern Wisconsin on a bad cold windy day in January.

Coldest: The little lump of pig iron in Osama bin Laden's chest, that Osama calls a heart.

Back to Chicago and Yellowknife (Yellowknife did not make the list): I know someone else who used to live in Chicago, and when I told him this he knew where Yellowknife was. He said that the fellow who moved from Chicago to Yellowknife made a slight improvement, because 50 below is not as cold as that icy evil bitter wind that blows over Lake Michigan on its way to Chicago from the depths of Hell.

Another bit on Yellowknife, according to a newspaper article in the Philadelphia Inquirer several years ago: Yellowknife has parking meters. But parking is free. (IIRC) The charge is for plugging in the electric dipstick and the electric blanket to drape over the engine and the battery so that the car can start again. They also talk about tires "going square" - as in freezing with the flat spots that were where the tires contacted the ground when the car was parked.

I also remember that there was one day in June 2007 that Yellowknife had the highest temperature recorded in Canada that day, according to a Canadian that I know.

Don Klipstein