Storing a room air conditioner

Hello. I have two window room air conditioners. In the past I have placed them in the basement during the winter months. This year I put them in my unheated attic because it is a lot closer to the rooms they go in. I'm wondering if that is such a good idea. I'm in Central New York where it can get kind of chilly. Will what ever is in them freeze and damage the units? Should I put them in the basement for peace of mind? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Honestly don't know if it's possible for the refrigerant to freeze. What I can say is we always put our window AC units in our unheated garage all winter. We live in New England and have never had an issue. I've also seen a lot of people leave units in all winter (both in window and in wall), also come to think of it, the central air units sit outside all year as well. So, I'd feel pretty good about it being fine.

Can't be any worse than the ones left in the window that work fine the following year, or the ones on a slab outside the house or on the roof.
Not a problem
EJ in NJ
dave wrote:

dave wrote:

No problem. It's easier to store them near where they are used. I have one in a bedroom and one on my unheated porch.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
I've always stored them in my detached garage. Not a problem. Just think of how many CAC units bear the elements with the compressor outside.
I live in Western NY and I store my window A/C in unheated attic every year without any problem. So you should be fine. Relax
The following web site shows the freezing points of R-22 and R-134a to be -256 and -211 respectively, don't see a problem. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/refrigerants-d_902.html

The only concern I'd have is the lubricating oil getting very cold. Refrigerant won't give a hoot about the cooler temps. If you plug in and turn on the unit while it's very cold, you may do some damage. If you bring the AC down next spring, and plug it in while the unit is 70F or warmer (all the way through, of course) then it should be fine. My guess is you'll bring the AC down in the spring, and use it when it gets warm. So, no damage is done.
Attic may be better, as lower humidity stores better. Humid cellar tends to corrode metals.
I'm in western NY, and I leave my AC units in the window all year.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus