Storing A/C intake filters

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Takoy

I don't see any problem but your hvac system may not last 3 years then what do you do with the filters?

I think 60 days is a too long to use a single filter during heavy use. Buy the cheapest you can and change every 2 weeks during heavy use. Every 2 months during low use months. Depends on where you live.

I buy mine by the case at HD and keep them in it until I need them. I usually buy the store out of their stock but I get True Blue filters. If my havac system goes out I can take them back to HD.

Reply to
JimT

Why do you imagine they would NOT store well if wrapped in plastic?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If there are some active electrostatic elements with a half-life of six months.

Reply to
Sam Takoy

That would be ridiculous.

Reply to
JimT

Organic based filters should be refrigerated in order to retain their effectiveness. Once the package is opened the filter should be put into service immediately or it will spoil. 8-0

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've seen people install filters with the plastic packaging still on them and they wonder why the AC doesn't work.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Just FYI 6x60 equals 360. not quite ONE year. and yes, they keep.

Reply to
Steve Barker

And as I've already stated, that is ONLY if you run the AC/heat every single day. A box of 12 "30 day" filters usually last me 18 months.

Reply to
Ron

If you take off the plastic, they'll get dirty!

Reply to
Bob F

Say it ain't so. Come on, fess up! Was this 'Bamastan?

Reply to
Oren

I have no problem storing them for long periods of time. Mostly, they get crushed or damaged some other way.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Yep, it were my home boys dat did it. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I found a vacuum cleaner with a wonder bread bag in place of the paper bag. I'll bet that didn't work right either.

Reply to
mm

What are those? If you have gamma radiation in your basement, you have bigger problems than bad furnace fiiters.

If you have alpha or beta radiation, why would they hurt furnace fiters.

Reply to
mm