Store lawn mower with full or empty tank?

Page 2 of 2
Joe wrote:

My normal technique is to shut off the fuel valve and run the carb dry, while keeping the tank full with gas and Sta-Bil. I don't generally have any problems. I think keeping the tank full with stabilized fuel helps prevent rust in the tank if it's a metal tank, obviously not a factor for a plastic one. Running the carb dry keeps gunk from forming as the gas slowly evaporates.

My father used to drain the mower tank, fill with kerosene, and store for the winter months. The mower still runs after 40 years. I fill the tank, add Stabil, run the engine for a few minutes, then store.

How do you manage the kerosene in the spring? Siphon it out? Or...?
Joe wrote:

I've always stored my gas-powered tools filled with gas. I always use gasoline that has been treated with Sta-bil.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Me too. I usally put the Stabil into the empty petrol container first before I go to the filling station. That way the Stabil is mixed well and acts on the "fresh" petrol. I have never had any issues with petrol deposits. I just store the mower over winter basically "as is". Half full, full or empty ....
Best, Mike.

I've never worried about it one way or the other and my mower has always started up normally the next year.
Joe wrote:

Many an old fart will use this stuff:
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com /
http://landing.turtlewax.com/sept2007 /
If I'm going to store an engine for a long period, I run it dry then crank it with this oil in the fuel system to coat everything. Then remove the spark plug, squirt some into the cylinder and crank the engine a few times before replacing the plug. Of course a tarp over it to keep the dirt and dust off and you're done.
TDD
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Joe wrote:

Do what Briggs and Stratton recommends. Put fuel preservative in the tank and fill it up. An empty tank is subject to condensation.
John
either way,treat that last tank of fuel with stabilizer. when you run one out of gas,there is still some fuel in the carb bowl that needs the stabilizer so it wont turn to gum.