Store Clerks "DUMBER THAN HELL"

Page 1 of 3
I went to a big city "big box" home repair store yesterday. I got most of the stuff from my list, into my shopping cart, but I could not find an outdoor thermometer (the old one I had outside my window broke recently). The store is busy but lacks enough staff on duty. I had already wasted a half hour in the electrical dept. trying to locate some special parts, because there was no one there to assist. I finally find a guy in the plumbing dept. and ask him where I can find an outdoor thermometer. He tells me "thats not a plumbing item" [NO SHIT], but says he will get someone to help me. 10 minutes go by, and finaly some young guy arrives. I ask him "where in the store can I find some outdoor thermometers". He replies "WE DONT HAVE THEM THIS TIME OF YEAR, BECAUSE THEY ARE A SEASONAL ITEM". Trying to remain calm, I said "Then find me a seasonal thermometer for the Winter Season". He looks at me with a very puzzled expresion and says "that's a *SUMMER ITEM*", but they might be in the garden center. Being a little annoyed by this time, I say "There's temperature all year long, regardless of season". He tells me to go look in the "garden center". Then walks away.
I go to the garden center (which is unheated), and it's very dark in there. So I go to the nearby lumber desk, and have to wait another 10 minutes to find an employee. After waving my arms and nearly doing a dance to get a guy's attention, he finally comes over. I tell him I was told to go to the garden center to find thermometers and it's too dark in there to see, "could you please turn the lights on". He says "I dont know if we have them this time of year, but I'll look on the computer". He looks them up, even goes on the store's website, and finally finds them, and says "it looks like we have lots of them, which one do you want (showing me the pictures on the screen). I said "can we just go see them on the shelf". He flips on some lights in the garden center and we find a whole shelf full of thermometers. -FINALLY-. I grab the one I want and go back to the last of the shopping.
That's when I went to the "Closeout Lumber" section. I always like to look in there for bargains. In there, I found a piece of metal trim made for metal siding, and it's something I can use. It's marhed 25 cents per foot. I grab it, and it's 10 foot long, and walk with it, back to the lumber desk, knowing they have to print up a "slip" for these items. After another long wait, I finally find someone who works there and it's another young guy. He says "what do you need". I tell him this was in the bargain area and I just need a slip for it.
He goes to the computer, and says "how much is it". I say, "it's a quarter a foot". He says, "but what is the price" I said "I just told you, it's a quarter a foot". He looks very puzzled.... I say, "It's 25 cents per foot, and it's 10 feet long". (He finally seems to understand). Thats when he says, "hold on a minute, while I find a calculator, so I get this right". He grabs a calculator from a desk, and starts to push buttons, a minute later, he says "wow, this cant be right.... lets try this again......". I tell him, "25 cents times 10 is $2.50, simple math, just take the zero from the 10 and put it at the end of the 25". He looks me straight in the eye, and says "are you sure?". About the same moment his calculator says $2.50, and he says "you're right, that will be $2.50. I did not say a word, (and I wont say what I was thinking).....
With that accomplished, he enters the price into the computer, and asks "what is it called". I said "it just says METAL TRIM on the sign. He enters those words. Then I tell him I also need two pieces of vinyl siding trim, from the outside building, it looks like *and I point to a display on the wall*. He looks at the display, and says "I'll have to look up the item number". He goes to the computer, when I tell him to look at the sign on the wall, right next to the display, and it's says the item number and the price right there. He says "Oh wow, it does". Then for the 3rd time he asks me how many of them I want. I said TWO. I did not say another word, because I felt like saying, "Dude, you're "DUMBER THAN HELL".....
Finally I'm done shopping, and proceed to the checkout, hoping the checkout clerk has a brain..... (Thankfully, she checked me out with no problems).
I've come to the conclusion that they only hire 'Kindergarten Dropouts' at that store......
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Alternative is on line shopping. Dumber than dumber. Dummies never go to hell.

Another alternative is a good local hardware store that has knowledgeable staff. Fortunately the big box guys haven't managed to put them all out of business. In fact I'll normally go to the local hardware store first to avoid the kind of scenario painted by the OP.
On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 23:27:28 -0000 (UTC), Roger Blake

One thing worth knowing, the HD, which used to have a computer that was only good for applying for a job, I think, and another that only the staff could use, now has a computer, at least the one near me does, that has the HD webpage. You can search for what you want and once it finds it it shows the aisle and the bay. The bays are maked on the posts, even if one doesn't normally notice that. It works pretty well. And you can do this before you leave home, but many times you don't know there's a problem until you're there.
OTOH Microcenter near me used to have computers for customers to check their stock, but they took them out The helpful employee didnt' know why. And it's a computer store.
On 12/20/2015 05:27 PM, Roger Blake wrote:
[snip]

There used to be a couple of local hardware stores around here. Both old. There were good places to go when you needed to ask someone who knows.
Neither lasted long after Lowes moved in.
--
4 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

On 12/20/2015 5:58 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Online is frequented by full quoters.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You cant buy lumber, sheets of plywood, concrete blocks, plumbing pipes, or 10 foot long pieces of metal trim online.... -OR- If you can, I would not want to pay the shipping prices.... Nor am I willing to wait for the shipping time to receive common items such as electrical items.
I might buy electronic/computer parts, clothing, movies, music, books and that sort of thing online, but NOT most home repair stuff.
I WILL buy a DAMPER online, for my bathroom exhaust fan, if I can find one (from another thread). The stores dont have them.
Online shopping is over rated in my opinion. I like to see and feel what I buy. Plus some stuff just cant be shipped (at least not affordably). I recently bought a computer keyboard online. When I got it, I hated the "feel" of it. So, I'm still using my old keyboard which has most of the letters worn off of it, while that new one sits in my closet....
Then too, last winter I bought a computer monitor online. The shipper refused to deliver it, because my almost one mile long driveway was icy. (I clean it as best I can, and I drive on it daily). After waiting over 2 months, I finally had to go thru a long and difficult process of excessive paperwork to modify the shipping address, so it would be delivered to a friends house (in town). Finally, 3.5 months later it arrived at his house, and then I had to drive there to get it. In the end, I saved about $25 off the shelf price of buying it at a store, but had to spend at least 3 hours of time filling out forms, reading emails about their refusal to deliver it, mailing stuff (which costs postage), and then being without my monitor for 3.5 months. Then finally driving to get it which costs me for gas.
The monitor was fine, but if my time is only worth "minimum wages" plus my other costs incurred, it cost me more than the savings, not to mention the annoyance factor.
On 12/20/2015 5:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Simple solution that I seem to be using more and more. If you enter "outdoor thermometer" in the search box at Amazon you get over 31,000 to choose from. I think I placed 6 orders just this week for both gifts and personal items not easily found elsewhere.

NOT a "simple solution" at all, when you only have dialup internet.... And I think I was clear when I said I dont care to shop online, because I cant see or feel the items. I've shopped in REAL stores for over 60 years, and dont want or need to change now, to he hassles of online shopping and dealing with the shipping and postage and hassled to return stuff that is not what I wanted, or junk.
I reserve my online shopping to parts and rare items I can get no other way, and that is a LAST RESORT. Something common, like a thermometer is NOT something "Rare". And the store DID have lots of them. Not to mention I bought it yesterday and am already using it. Not waiting a week or more to get it. Additionally, everytime I order something online, I still have to go to a store to buy a prepaid disposible credit card, because i'm not stupid enough to give out my REAL Credit card # over the internet. NOTHING is safe or secure on the internet, even though these companies want you to believe it is.

Credit cards are not safe in stores either. Just look at what hapened at the Target stores last Christmas, or maybe it was the one before. My son for one had his debit card info stolen from them.
On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 22:29:10 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

I rarely use credit/debit cards in stores too. I use cash, or if it's a large priced item, I write a check.
I use my credit cards to pay utility bills, and sometimes at the local gas station, because I KNOW them, and I dont always have enough cash in my pocket when I need gas.
I feel much safer using a C.C at a local store than a large chain store like Target, Home Depot, Walmart, or other such places. When I buy farm items from our local Farm Supply, I feel pretty safe using my C.C. They use the same bank I do, and if they were to cheat me, both I and my bank would know right away who did it.
Another thing I wont even consider is online banking. What a stupid idea! I may as well just post my credit card # on this newsgroup along with all my other identity info, and say "Help Yourself".
On 12/20/2015 7:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Bad idea.
For higher priced items, the extra year of warranty that is offered by many credit cards is well worth the small hassle if a credit card is compromised. And it's not like a debit card where you can lose money from your account and then have to fight to get it back, it's just the hassle of getting a new credit card.
I recently called Amex because a point and shoot camera with a one year warranty had stopped working on a trip. I expected a hassle. There was none. They looked up the transaction and they did not even want the camera back, they just credited my account for the full cost. On higher value items they want some verification though, a quote for the repair cost.
There's also the 2% cash back on a good credit card. It really adds up over a year. We get back close to $1000 per year. Remember, the credit card company's commissions are essentially built in to all retail pricing already, so unless a company offers a cash discount it's better off financially to pay with a credit card.

Up to about 5 years or so ago I used to either do cash or checks for almost everything and seldom used a credit card. Then I found out about the cash back. Some cards even give from $ 20 to $ 50 just for getting their card and using it a few times. It is almost a pain to keep up with the cards as they give different ammouts depenting on where I shop. "Had" to get a Lowes card just to get the 5% off. I do pay off the cards each month so no interist to be paid. With many of the cards charging from 10 to 25 % I sure don't want to pay any extra.

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:42:52 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

And cheques are not free either (at least not for another 18 months when I hit 65)
On 12/20/2015 9:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Your banking information is already online. Are you under the delusion that banks aren't using computer networks to store and transmit everyone's banking information?
On 12/21/2015 8:40 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

LOL! I wonder when the last time Paintedcow received a cancelled check back with his bank statement? Is he puzzled over the clerk at some stores scanning his check and handing it back to him before saying "Thank you! Have a nice day!"?
It's his money and privacy so whatever he does or doesn't do is fine, I just hate to see some people have a false sense of security (or paranoia) simply because of ignorance.

With almost everything going to computers now, unless you only deal in cash, there is no real security.
I pay almost all the bills by computer and directly from the credit union. By charging almost everything by credit card (getting back a percentage) I have about 6 bills to pay every month. Couple of credit cards , phone, internet, power. Saves about $ 5 a month on stamps that way and no gas to go from place to place to pay a bill.
On 12/21/2015 7:47 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Writing checks is the most dangerous way to pay. All your account information is made available to the person you give the check too. They could easily print up some checks and quickly drain your account.
Paying with a debit card is the next most dangerous.
Using a credit card is the safest, and most beneficial to the consumer who is responsible enough to not carry a balance.

Several years ago I had about $ 75 charged to a credit card that I could not account for . Looking it over it seemed that it was for a club or restraunt in Europe. As I had never been out of the country I called the card people up and they had me to fill out a form and that took care of the charge.
We got a charge from a chain department store on one of their cards for something we did not buy. They gave us a photocopy of the bill. It had our number on it, but the signature was someones elses name. Not even close to our name,first or last. For some reason it kept showing up on 3 or 4 months bill after we had told them about it. Cut that card up and never used it again. About a month later we got a leter saying they were going to credit either 10 or 20 dollars to our account the next time we used that card.. Never did get another card.