Store aluminum ladder outdoors?

Page 3 of 3

Taking them donw in January??? I figure just _turning them off_ in January is enough of a hassle. As for taking them down? What a weird concept. :)
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/21/2011 7:29 AM, Harry K wrote:

jan 2 is takedown day at my house. of course, i do have to usually take off my jacket and do work up a sweat since it's usually 75-80F that day.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:04:06 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

Huh, it's usually 100 degrees less here at that time of year :-)
Add pictures here
✖

I hang my ladders from the garage ceiling. I built boxes over the door to hold the feet, then mounted 2x4s across the ceiling, with eye hooks in them. I then hook ropes with doggy clips tied to the ends across the ladders to keep them against the ceiling (and the feet planted in the boxes). A rope and pulley makes them easy to put away.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 20, 11:34 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

That's a pretty good idea.
I used to have one of those red folding trailers for which I made some nice looking sides. I used to store the sides in much the same way (above the garage door) by hanging them flat against the ceiling with bungee cords and eye hooks. A step ladder was all I needed to get them up and down.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:34:00 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I thought of that but I'd have to redo the garage door opener to leave enough room and I don't even know if that's possible. There really is no way to hang it on the wall or ceiling that doesn't interfere with something else.
Add pictures here
✖

Your door must be really close to the ceiling. My ladders are stored parallel to the opener track (ladder feet fit into boxes over the door opening), so don't interfere with the opener at all.
No room on the ceiling beside the overhead door? Must be a small garage.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 21, 7:43 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I have a double car garage with the same problem, i.e. no room above it. Dunno why they built one back in the 50s with a (barely) 7' ceiling.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Your garage is only 16' wide? Most are at least 20', so there should be space to hang a ladder outside the tracks. Even if the ladder is hung "on edge", it should free the (valuable) wall space.
Yeah, 7' ceilings are a PITA. I had to do that with my first house, or move a couple of windows. My previous house had about 4' above the door (to the rafters - not finished) and my current garage has 10' ceilings, though there is only ~12" clearance over the door. The ladders have to be strapped pretty tightly against the ceiling.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeow. That's not really a 2-car garage. You can only park one. ...and get out of it. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
dgk wrote:

I put a couple of large screws into the back of the house and that's where the extension ladder hangs. Makes nice shelves until I need the ladder, maybe once every two or three years. Plenty good enough for the gals I go with. Main problem I have with that ladder is neighbors wanting to borrow it.
Add pictures here
✖

If a burglar wants to go through the trouble to go under my deck, wrestle the ladder out, prop it up against the house, extend it and climb it so he can start checking windows to see if he can find one that is unlocked, all the more power to him.
After a decade or so of having the ladder hanging under my deck, I'm not about to start chaining it up.

You are assuming that there is room on the walls for the ladder. My ladder was moved outside because I need the wall space for items that belong in the garage.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 07:18:27 -0700 (PDT), gpsman

Someone earlier suggested locking the ladder to a deck post so it can't be used to break into the house. The lock should solve both problems I hope.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:18:46 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Thanks, I didn't know about PB Blaster. Seems useful.
Add pictures here
✖

I have a rope. Luckily it's black. The main problem is steel parts on bottom of base. I threw parts of all aluminum ladder outside 6 years ago, still ok.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖

Mine has been outside for years, at least 15 years. Rope is black poyethelene Dacron@, other rope may not hold up as well in the sun but sythetic rope out of the sun beneath a deck should hold up fine.
Add pictures here
✖

Andycomments:
You speak as a person who has inside knowledge of the practice. I probably should report you to the police, but I can't seem to find any of my cellphones....... :>))))))
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Add pictures here
✖