Store aluminum ladder outdoors?

I thought of that but I'd have to redo the garage door opener to leave enough room and I don't even know if that's possible. There really is no way to hang it on the wall or ceiling that doesn't interfere with something else.

Reply to
dgk

Fiberglass ladder?

Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks, I didn't know about PB Blaster. Seems useful.

Reply to
dgk

I have a rope. Luckily it's black. The main problem is steel parts on bottom of base. I threw parts of all aluminum ladder outside 6 years ago, still ok.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Made perfect sense to me and I'm just an old farm boy from the mountains of Idaho.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

@

Yep. I used to keep mine inside the garage hanging on the wall. Problem was other stuff got hung on top of the ladder, etc. Finally decided hanging under the eaves behind the garage was much saner.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

quoted text -

Taking them donw in January??? I figure just _turning them off_ in January is enough of a hassle. As for taking them down? What a weird concept. :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Your door must be really close to the ceiling. My ladders are stored parallel to the opener track (ladder feet fit into boxes over the door opening), so don't interfere with the opener at all.

No room on the ceiling beside the overhead door? Must be a small garage.

Reply to
krw

jan 2 is takedown day at my house. of course, i do have to usually take off my jacket and do work up a sweat since it's usually 75-80F that day.

Reply to
chaniarts

Around here even the "driving shed" or "drive-in shed" has doors. Otherwize you'd need to dig out the tractor before you could use it to blow out the lane.

Reply to
clare

Huh, it's usually 100 degrees less here at that time of year :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Mine has been outside for years, at least 15 years. Rope is black poyethelene Dacron@, other rope may not hold up as well in the sun but sythetic rope out of the sun beneath a deck should hold up fine.

Reply to
JIMMIE

I have a double car garage with the same problem, i.e. no room above it. Dunno why they built one back in the 50s with a (barely) 7' ceiling.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Around here they are positioned with the open side downwind of the prevailing. They used to be seen at almost every farmstead, now only at old ones. My woodshed is built on that pattern, open on N side, "eyebrow" over it. Never have more than a skift of snow on the exposed face of the wood and I have had to dig a path through 2' of snow to get to the shed.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Andycomments:

You speak as a person who has inside knowledge of the practice. I probably should report you to the police, but I can't seem to find any of my cellphones....... :>))))))

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

Your garage is only 16' wide? Most are at least 20', so there should be space to hang a ladder outside the tracks. Even if the ladder is hung "on edge", it should free the (valuable) wall space.

Yeah, 7' ceilings are a PITA. I had to do that with my first house, or move a couple of windows. My previous house had about 4' above the door (to the rafters - not finished) and my current garage has 10' ceilings, though there is only ~12" clearance over the door. The ladders have to be strapped pretty tightly against the ceiling.

Reply to
krw

Yeow. That's not really a 2-car garage. You can only park one. ...and get out of it. ;-)

Reply to
krw

They sell the protecters for ladders to protect your siding/gutters

Reply to
Eric b