Store aluminum ladder outdoors?

Page 1 of 3
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop problems?
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/20/2011 8:51 AM, dgk wrote:

Aluminum would be OK but any plastics, like the rope, would degrade more rapidly exposed to sunlight.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:59:14 -0400, Frank

Not much sunlight under MY deck - don't know about yours.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 20, 1:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Obviously you need a higher deck.
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/20/2011 1:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't think of low deck. Mine's 10 ft, enough to grow stuff in pots on patio below ;)
Add pictures here
✖
4ax.com:

Why provide extra means of entry for burglary? They love people who leave ladders for them......
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:33:52 +0000, Sjouke Burry wrote:

Hmm, isn't the aim for most burglaries to get into the house unseen as quickly as possible - so entry via a lower window is preferable to fetching a ladder and going in via the top (assuming that the upper floor windows are closed, I suppose :-)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 20, 8:42 am, Jules Richardson

Andy comments:
Perhaps he is getting burgled by a midget ... :>)))))
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Add pictures here
✖

Chain it to the deck support with a padlock.
Add pictures here
✖

The bottom of my deck joists are just under 6' above the ground, so I can walk underneath it.
I screwed brackets to the block wall under the deck and hang my 28' ladder on the hooks.
I attached some plywood to the bottom of the joists, sloped to form a ~1' "roof" over the ladder so that any water that drips through the deck boards doesn't drip onto the ladder.
The ladder been stored that way for over 20 years.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 06:42:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

That's a much better idea than just leaving it on the ground. I can probably manage that.
Add pictures here
✖
dgk wrote:

Hi, I have been doing it for years for my 32 feet ext. ladder, I hang it under the eve. of tool shed when not in use.
Add pictures here
✖

Same here.
Add pictures here
✖

Same here. I keep it under part of the house eaves. Been doing it for 15 years. The only concern I have is that while the ladder is aluminum, the two bolts that connect the latching part to the ladder are steel and have rust on them. Probably not a big deal, as they still appear to be intact and the rust probably is just on the surface. Still, I do think about it when I'm on the ladder.....
The rope deteriorated, but that's easily replaced. If storing under a deck, I'd find some concrete blocks or similar to keep it off the ground.
Add pictures here
✖

Hmmm...the time to think about those bolts is *before* you're on the ladder.
But you knew that, didn't you? ;-)
Add pictures here
✖

Andy replies:
I leave mine outside and , after many years, have noticed no deterioration in the metal.... HOWEVER, I use mine mostly for cleaning out gutters, and have some shag carpet duct taped around the top 2 feet so it won't scratch the gutter that U set it against..... That deteriorates.... I am considering just making some carpet "sleeves" that I can slip on an off..... Just an idea... Maybe some innovative inventor will make a product like that and get rich ....
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 06:55:32 -0700, Andy wrote:

You can get rubber 'boots' that slip over the ends of the ladder for just that purpose (although I suppose, being at the top, they should be called gloves :-)
I normally just tie some cloth or something around the ends as/when needed, though.
Both of my ladders just live in one of my open vehicle sheds, so they're covered, but still exposed to damp air (but I need to be careful where I put them as the front half of the sheds fill up with snow over winter). Putting some hanging hooks on the back wall has been on the to-do list for more months than I care to think about ;)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 20, 12:33 pm, Jules Richardson

Just curious...
"my open vehicle sheds" vs. "the back wall"
Does "open" mean 3 sided - i.e. just no door?
Add pictures here
✖
Just curious...
"my open vehicle sheds" vs. "the back wall"
Does "open" mean 3 sided - i.e. just no door?
You might be a redneck if ..............
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:24:20 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Yeah, that's the critter :-) We're on an old farm and have a couple out back which will take two (large) vehicles each (plus a big enclosed garage nearer to the house, so the sheds mostly get used for random storage).
Maybe there's a better term for them (I'm an ex-Brit and we would have called them 'open' there, even though they have walls on 3 sides, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense!)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖