Storage shed, what type to get?

I'm looking for something around 10x12 foot. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the sheetmetal ones vs plastic composite vs wood?

The metal ones are cheap, but are thin and I'm sure probably get very hot in summer. I like the plastic composite one. The wooden ones I saw seem to use that plywood made out of sawdust and woodscraps which falls apart when wet.

I'd like something that stays cool, and could maybe have a window or vent. The planned site for the shed has a small slope, not over 12 inches per 10 feet. is it better to level the land, or use pilings?

Reply to
Guy Noir - private eye

Were I to do the same project, I would frame it, insulate it, roof it, and electrify it just like any other structure. And put in a small cooler or AC unit. Build it once and build it right. None of that cheesy cheap tin or plastic.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

I've had metal & wood sheds & with the metal ones, everything made of metal that is stored inside tends to rust. I don't have that problem with the wooden ones. I put one of my sheds on pilings & the other I leveled the ground. I found it easier to do the pilings.

Reply to
Patch

One of the key things I look for is if I can walk through the doorway without having to duck, lest I bump my head. Many of the metal sheds have short doorways. Also water should not pour off the roof down into the doorway (door should be in the 'end' of the building. I have seen several buildings where the door was the middle of a side.

The one I have is made of wood and has ventilation ports under the roof overhang. Important if you are going to store lawn mowers, etc in the building.

Reply to
Jhill

I agree with the idea of framing and building it yourself.

We built an 8x12 shed with 8' high walls and a concrete floor two years ago. Though we didn't need to go to the trouble of insulating and cooling/heating it (though it is electrified!), we went with a ridge vent on the roof and found this to do a far better job of keeping it cool in the summer than using a couple of regular roof vents.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam