Stopping the creeping door

We have an ordinary door between the kitchen and laundry room. It's 14 years old. My wife recently noticed when the door is fully open that it creeps closed. Probably 20 degrees or so. Three hinges and a door knob. Is there some technique to keep it stationary? I tried unsuccessfully on another door to my den some 10 years ago.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Do it the easy way. Punch out one or more hinge pins and then lay each one across two 16 penny nails or similar (one nail under each end of the pin) and then hit the pin in the center with a hammer. Don't go overboard, just a little bend in the pin will probably do it. Now replace the pin(s) in the hinge(s).

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

my girl friend didnt like our squeaking door so she lubed it with vegetable oil.....

dead quiet, but the door became self closing......

that lasted a month, the oil must have of vaporised.

no squeak and the door no longer closes itself

Reply to
bob haller

There is a new product called the DoorStay. You take out the middle or upper hinge pin and put the DoorStay pin and adjust it until the desired resistance is reached. Really simple and only takes a couple of minutes.

Reply to
djmunson

Even simpler:

"Rather than resetting the hinges or propping it open with a potted plant, remove one of the hinge pins, lay it on a hard surface, and strike it lightly with a hammer until the hinge pin has a slight bend. Tap the pin back in place. The increased friction will keep the door where you want it."

Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Simpler? Yes. Same result? Not necessarily.

I read up on the device. You can set the exact pressure that you want by adjusting the "nut". The resulting pressure from bending the hinge pin is hit or miss. Pun intended.

I'm not saying that we should all run out and buy one, but it does have its merits, even if the promoters are spamming usenet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03