"Stoopit" Drywall question

The mantra, "Always install the wallboards perpendicular to (across) the joists on ceilings." is repeated everywhere, but I have strapping running perpendicular to the joists on my basement ceiling. Do I install drywall along the strapping (perpendicular to the joists) or perpendicular to the strapping and, thus, along the joists?
- Rodger

Forget the joists in this case, use the strapping orientation the same way.

Change that to "Always TRY to install the wallboards perpendicular to the joists on the ceilings." Another one is to never break on a beam. I just completed a number of new garages and the joists were running in both directions. We ran them according to the dominant direction and put blocks in the joints when we ran with the joists and ran them to overlap the beam by a minimum of 6". In your case, run with the strapping, as you call it, more commonly referred to as furring strips. The idea is to have the butt joint running along a joist so the entire length can be nailed or screwed down to prevent cracks.
Mike D.
Rodger wrote:

Thanks to both!!
- Rodger