'Stoopid' door question...

Page 1 of 2
Is a LH Inswing door identical to a RH Outswing door, just turned front to back 180?

Stand in the door with your back to the hinges. If the door opens to your right then it is right hand. Similiar for left. Whether it is in or out swing is your choice.
Pat wrote:

It makes a big difference when you buy a pre-hung door though - it's already in the jam so it's 'swingedness' is already decided when I order...

A local *real* door store; here, demonstrates the door swings using the western saloon style doors. The buyer can show the guy the swing and buy a custom ordered door. Hinge side and swing it the only way I remember:)
Oren --
I was taught to stand with my butt to the hinges, and face out away from the building. The door is either behind my right hand, or behind my left hand.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

No. If you turned it around it would open in rather than out.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Aha - see - I want an outswing RH Door. From this page: <http://www.homesteadhardware.com/help_and_info.htm (Handing Section)
The door on the upper left is the same door on the lower right and vise versa, no? Just depends on what side you're standing on!
I want a closet door with the hinges on the right and when I open it from outside the closet (in the rec room), I want it to swing toward me - not into the closet.
The door in the lower right is the one - so I need a RH outswing, or a LH inswing?
You are really close to having it figured out.
Pat gave you the correct answer in the first response. Forget inswing and outswing. Put your back to the proposed hinge side of the door, whichever hand and arm would be the door is the "hand" of the door. The normal way to look at a door is standing on the approach side with the door swinging away from you. If the door pulls toward you, it is a "reverse" door in commercial hardware parlance. This only makes a difference on mortise locks and some closers and hold open devices although most of them have become reversible. A left hand door is the same as a right hand reverse door, it is a great system for people who deal with it and understand it. Avoid the confusion -
Just stay with the "back to the hinges" method, you can't go wrong.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

OK - cool, but my problem now is that every prehung *interior* LH door that I've seen (so far) has a "threashold". Not a real one, but if I were to install it, it would be 'sunk in' 4". I want:
| | --- ---- / / /
All I've seen (prehung) is:
| /| --- / ---- /
Walk up to your bedroom door. The door will be opening away from you, swinging into the room. The door will be flush with the inside bedroom wall surfaces. If the hinges are on your right hand side, it is a right hand door. If you had the door open, you put your back to the hinges, your right arm would be the door swinging till it latches flush on the inside bedroom wall surface.
Walk up to your closet door. the door will be opening toward you, swinging away from the closet. The door will be flush with the outside wall surfaces. If the hinges are on your right hand side, it is a left hand door also known as a right hand reverse. Open the door, put your back to the hinges, your left arm is now the one swinging like the door does. It can swing until it latches against the door stops, it will be flush with the outside-the-closet surface.
Interior doors do NOT have thresholds. No door can swing as you tried to draw, they cannot go past the door stops, they have to be flush on the swinging side, the hinge barrels have to stick out on the side of the jamb where the door opens.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Interior doors used for sound control can have thresholds.

I like that explanation.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph, are you awake this morning? That's what he just asked.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thank you - someone who understands!
;0)
a wrote:

Inswing and outswing only apply to exterior doors that have a threshold. If it is an interior door, it matters not whether it is inswing or outswing. You order a LH or a RH and put it in the way that you want.
On the exterior door, the threshold is configured for inswing or outswing. They should not be reversed. And no, they are not just the same door turned around. The thresholds and the glass (if it has glass) will be different.
Stand in the doorway with the door open. Put your back to the hinges. If the door is on your right, it is a RH. If the door is on your left, it is a LH.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

A prehung interior door is not symmetrical font to back as it is set in the jams already. It is prehung 'flush' with one side of the jam surround.
a wrote:

Are you looking for a door that is hung in the middle of the jamb? All doors are flush with the door side of the jamb. I am not sure what your point is supposed to be.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
a wrote:

Work it out with the firm you buy the door from.
There is too much confusion on this issue and the designation differs, even amongst door manufacturers.
Simpson wrote:

That's good advice, however, I'm sure no matter how much I explain, draw diagrams, plans, provide photos, do an interpretive dance for the person taking my order - it'll be the wrong door that arrives!
With two choices to choose what to ship, why is there about 95% chance of shipping the wrong one?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus