stone veneer methods

I contacted two contractors and got two different methods they would use to put stone veneer on the house wall...
Both used felt paper and metal lath covered with mortar, except one let the mortar dry for 48 hours then applied the stone as if it were a block wall, the second applied the stone to the wall before the "parging" mortar dried.
Question. Are both ways valid? Or is one way better than the other?
Thanks
Paul
Is this a thin material without a footing or are they putting in a footing. How will moisture escape from the house wall?

This is a veneer. there is a footing but not for the stone. From what I gather its put on like floor tile. There is no moisture gap if thats what your refering to. Its like stucco, but a little harder. I was talking to the folks at lowes an they said the vender told them some folks use liquid nails or construction adhesive to put it on. Some books suggest you can use screws. The main question is whether to embed them in the parge as you go or after the parge cures for 48 hours.
paul