Stone sealer for granite countertops

Our granite countertops were installed almost a year ago. Recently, we've noticed that they are becoming harder to clean. Water doesn't bead up like it used to and jelly is sticking more firmly than before. Aside from giving the kids a refresher course on proper sandwich making techniques, we've concluded that it may be time to apply the often recommended once-a-year sealant.

I've searched the web and am not finding any real information on the pros and cons of the different types of sealers available (water vs something-else based, 'wet look', 'color enhanced', 'natural look', 'high gloss', etc.). Most of the information I've found is on manufacturers' websites, each chastising me for even *considering* a competitor's product over this one which creates a unique molecular bond and yadda, yadda, yadda. Also I've found prices ranging from $10 to $240 per gallon. I suspect that price gouging is not the sole explanation for this wide range.

What, exactly, am I looking for? It must be compatible with food preparation. I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks for a truly superior product. I'm assuming a gallon will last a lifetime. What brands/formulae/etc. provides the absolute best protection and maintainability for my granite countertops?

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

I suppose a google search of this group would produce a ton of posts regarding this, so I'll just throw my $.02 in as well. I prefer and have had good success with the Glaze 'N Seal products. In particular, the Stone Sealant Impregnator for granite. Their website offers good detail and tech facts.

This may help with your other questions.

G Henslee

Google for 511 Impregnator. Thats the stuff we ve used for 6 years. After that we use "Glass plus" to clean it periodically. Dont use Windex or anything with Ammonia in it.

we've concluded that it may be time to

Reply to
Rudy