stone on sand patio

I'm building a natural stone patio. I'm inexperienced landscaping, and have run into a big problem:

Problem: I put in 4 ton of "#4 Dust Crushed Gravel", but the landscaper says that I misunderstood them, and that I now have to take out the dust crushed gravel and put in 5/8 rock instead, for drainage.

Solution? (by me): Keeping as much of the dust crushed gravel as possible, make a "canal" in the dust crushed gravel

5" deep and 3 feet wide. Fill it with 5/8 rock. Cover with sand.

In any case: In the effort to keep water from soaking against the foundation shouldn't I keep the "5/8" rock drain" area away from the foundation? In other words, does the drainage into a 5/8" rock fill bed (substrate) trap water against the house, underneath the surface?

I'm not experienced landscaping. Is my solution good enough for you?

| -----------------------| ^^^^ ^ | | (dirt, grass) | | ground slopes, | House (foundation) | drains water this way -------------------------------------- | (stone, | | Patio 25' X 5' sand,rock| | (level?) gravel) | -------------------------------------- sidewalk (poured cement on dirt) ------------------------- | | | Garage (foundation) ! | |

Thanks for looking.

Reply to
J-Cloud

Let's stop here.

Don't try a do it yourself idea. Follow the landscaper's advice and make sure you really understand it before you start.

Trust me on this. Doing it right is much easier then doing it wrong and re-doing it. As it is you are going to have to re-do half of it.

I suggest checking with the landscaper because even though the process is much the same all over, there are some local soil conditions that your local landscaper may know of, that may need to be addressed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Talk to a few more people that know your soil, even your gov. agriculture extension, you may be fine.

Reply to
m Ransley