Stolen trashcan

Page 2 of 7

Not all politicians are idiots.

Got a cite for that?
Doug Miller wrote:

I think it is a misquote from a new book on the 2008 election ("Game Change"). Also from an interview with the top campaign strategist from the McCain campaign last sunday on 60 Minutes. The strategist said "after the convention was over, she still didn't really understand why there was a North Korea and a South Korea." Certainly that is different from thinking it was E and W, but IMHO not by much.
The strategist also said "She was still regularly saying that Saddam Hussein had been behind 9/11. And, literally, the next day her son was about to ship off to Iraq. And when they asked her who her son was going to fight, she couldn't explain that." And asked why she wasn't nervous after being asked to be McCain's vice president she said "No, it's God's plan."
I don't think it was widely reported, but after the election the Fox 'News' chief political correspondent revealed he learned from the McCain camp that Palin "didn't understand that Africa was a continent, rather than ... a country just in itself."
--
bud--

The Daring Dufas wrote:

In fairness to Obama, the Democrats DID have 57 entities sending delegates to the Democratic National Convention. They were: * The fifty states, of course, * D.C., * American Somoa, * U.S. Virgin Islands, * Puerto Rico, * er, Patagonia, * Rhodesia, and * Narnia.
He just misspoke the word "state" when he meant "places of no consequence."
As for Palin and East/West Korea, it never happened.
HeyBub wrote:

Of course folks who voted for BeeHO believe that Sarah Palin said: "I can see Russia from my house."
TDD

Apparently you are unaware that Vice Presidnets have to be just as qualified as presidents, since they may become President at a moment's notice.
She might make it as president of the P.T.A., but obviously she couldn't even handle being governor of Alaska for a full term.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:20:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

So if POUTUS and VP dies suddenly, Nancy gets to be in charge?
California's 8th congressional district qualifies her, how?

Then explain Obama's choice of VP. No, wait, bad example. Biden's better qualified.
Here's a better one: John Kerry, during the 2004 primaries: "John Edwards is not qualified to be President of the United States."
Other counterexamples: Mondale & Ferraro; Clinton & Gore (for all that I dislike him and his politics, I must acknowledge that Clinton is a very smart guy; Gore, OTOH, is a dunce); Reagan and GHW Bush; Lincoln and A. Johnson; Ross Perot and -- who was that kook he picked? Admiral somebody-or-other...
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Uh, no. The only things a person HAS to be are: a) Thirty-five years of age, and 2) A natural born citizen.
Of course since women won't admit to being 35, that lets Palin out. And Obama is out because...well, oh, never mind...

If the VP, or the Speaker, are not natural citizens, can they still assume the presidency?

Certainly not the VP. The Constitution explicitly states that anyone not eligible to be President is not eligible to be VP either. [Amendment XII]
The Constitution does not specify the line of succession beyond the VP, but explicitly grants Congress the power to do so [Article II, Section 1]. What restrictions Congress may have attached to the rest of the line of succession, I don't know.
HeyBub wrote:

You know darned that as soon as BeeHO was sworn in, there was a long briefing by a number of alphabet agencies after which BeeHO had to change his shorts. I can imagine that one of the thing that he said was "What the fuck have I gotten myself into?" I wish some guys who have experience in the government intelligence agencies would post a comment or two here. Our young President is going to have gray hair before his one term is up.
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@blueballs.com wrote:

Not just Obama. Probably nearly every President has needed to change his shorts after those briefings. One notable exception would have been George HW Bush, who was the Director of Central Intelligence in 76-77 and VP from 80-88; the briefings probably didn't tell him much that he didn't already know.
Harry Truman had _no_idea_ that the U.S. had a nuclear bomb program when he became President after FDR died: FDR had kept him completely in the dark. Talk about a "change your shorts" moment...

Probably nearly every President has said that, too.

Look at how the Presidency aged Jimmy Carter. He looked young and fit going in, and old, careworn, and used up on the way out just four years later.
Doug Miller wrote:

I wouldn't want the job, everybody criticizing me and scrutinizing my every move and word. Plus the weight of the world on my shoulders, I would have to be plumb crazy to want to be President.
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@blueballs.com wrote:

A friend of mine maintains that the mere fact that anyone wants to be President should be regarded as proof that he's unfit for the job.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Ah, but look at the advantages!
As George H.W. Bush said: "I am the President of the United States. If I say there is to be no broccoli on the menu, there will be NO broccoli on the menu!"
HeyBub wrote:

But I like broccoli. I even like Broccoli movies. 8-)
TDD

Oh, brother!
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Hey, I'm just reporting. There are those who say with a name like O'bama, he HAS to be Irish!

You must have missed the memo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
DUQWKoVek