Stipple a Ceiling

I'd appreciate if anyone can show me a link on how to stipple a ceiling. A video would be great. I have new unpainted green wallboard on the ceiling. Should primer be applied before stippling? Do I have to buy a special applicator? This is a ceiling in a small bathroom. Thanks.

Reply to
Phisherman

Read here:

Limp Arbor

Are you stippling for texture or only the color?

Reply to
norminn

I want to stipple to match the existing stipple texture in the house. It need not be exact, because it is a new bathroom. Color should be the same as all the rooms, ceiling white.

Reply to
Phisherman

How's the ventilation/insulation in the bathroom? I've seen some instances where textured ceilings had more issues with mold growth. Not sure of the reason.

RicodJour

The bathroom has inside walls with a Panasonic inline fan exhausting to the outside. The other bathrooms have textured ceilings, no problem for over 16 years. Entire house is air conditioned.

Reply to
Phisherman

Well then, I guess you're covered!

RicodJour

If what you are calling stipple is what I call stipple this is real easy. Thin out some drywall mud with latex primer to the consistency of mayonnaise, then roll it on with a fine nap roller. When dry overcoat with another coat of latex primer and then you are good to paint.

If you do not get a big enough stipple thicken with more mud, or use a thicker nap roller. I got real good results with the 1/4"nap when I re-did the sheet rock in my bathroom.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks. This is the first I heard of mixing primer with drywall mud, but it makes good sense.

I recently viewed a U-Tube video of two drywall men. One was putting on the thinned mud on the ceiling with a roller and the other was pouncing a round brush against the ceiling. Looks like fun but I will need some large plastic sheets and duct tape to contain the mess.

Reply to
Phisherman