Stinky washing machine

I'm getting ready to move so am deciding whether or not to keep the w/d. Although it's an old Kenmore I still kind of like it, and I'll end up replacing it with an expensive front loader. I've tried full loads with lots of bleach, later tried baking soda. Of course I wiped down as much as I could easily access. Still the machine & clothes coming out of it smell mildewed. (Can't remember if I tried vinegar yet or not.) TIA for any suggestions, Nelly

I'd take the cover off the front and snoop around inside. Most likely, water and soap/softener go over the drum where it is not visible. Wash the inside and you'll probably fix it.

I'd also point out that since the alternative is a new front loader, that front loaders are known to have even worse problems with smell. The problem is bacteria/mold grows in the folds of the door seal.
Friend bought a $2,000 LG and the manual says to wipe and dry the door seal after each use. Doesn't sound too cool to me.
Don't laugh but running a full bottle of cheap hair shampoo through it with a full tub of water and on heavy duty cycle will often get rid of the smell.
--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
PS: The hair shampoo which is designed to remove oil and grease from hair removes the slime accumulated from fabricate softeners and the like that supports odour causing mould and mildew on and under the seals. It often also has the added benefit of a nice after fragrance. If you want to do a real good job use a shampoo that is tea tree based as the tea tree oil is also a natural antiseptic that should kill any mould. Run it on the warm cycle. with the full shampoo bottle. I'd avoid the sudsy type if they exist as a full bottle in the tub might create so much suds that the lid banks around.
--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
And I guess a shampoo designed for oily hair is going to be betty than one designed for dry hair.
--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
On 8/4/2011 10:17 AM, . wrote:

The whirlpool duet is the same thing. Not a big deal. Just keep a dry towel on top of the machine and dry the seal and door after each use. No mold problems. If you don't it can get real nasty.

Your machine has built up a bleach resistant bio film on the outer surface of the drum which you can not access to wipe down...
Try to find a hospital grade cleaner which can sterilize... Or have the machine taken apart and manually scrub the outer surface of the drum and inner wall of the whole tub...
~~ Evan

Have you tried washing soda or borax in very hot water? Either of those might help. You will need to use a cup or two depending on the size of the machine.
--
Heather