Stimulus Check

I guess the government has some people fooled thinking the Stimulus Check is really a "gift" when it's really their own money. Donate to the Libertarian Party for less government.

with other sections of the constitution. The only major differences between the parties are the parts of the constitution they think we can do with out.

Probably the stupidest piece of legislation in recent history. Makes the "Bridge to Nowhere" in Alaska look enlightened.
Do I sound bitter for not getting one? Not at all...

My kids didn't get them either. They make too much money. Fortunately I'm retired.
I thought it was a stupid idea too. I've lived through stagflation and with these type programs, expect to face it again.

be receiving a check" letters. Why not just send the check without the fanfare?

This was essentially a rebate on next year's taxes (people are gonna be PISSSEEEDDD Off when they figure '08 taxes and find out they owe or that most of their refund was already given back). Most of the letters were to make sure people filed an '07 tax form since that was the basis of you getting the check issued. Many people don't usually have to file so they don't.
Kurt Ullman wrote: ...

I don't know the relative numbers but I do know I got two to tell me only that (a) there would be one and I could look at the web site to find out when it should be expected and (b) a followup that it was still on the way (which was followed by the check within 7-10 days or so _ahead_ of the website projection by nearly a month).
What's up w/ the need for either of those at whatever cost it was? I can't imagine I was particularly unique.

Well, that's not really true. Many of the people who got checks don't pay taxes. They still won't have to pay taxes. The checks were more like a gift from the taxpayers.

Big difference between *paying* and *filing*. You can file and not pay. You can even file, get all of your payroll taxes back plus a little extra:
"The Earned Income Credit (EIC), also known as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), is an important anti-poverty and work incentive program that is run by the federal government. The EIC is targeted to individuals and especially families who earn low to moderate wages. If a worker qualifies, the EIC will lower or eliminate any taxes owed.
If a worker is not obligated to pay any taxes or if the credit is larger than any taxes owed, the worker will receive a cash payment ("refund") from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) after filing a tax return.
In such instances, the government is providing low-income workers additional money beyond what they get paid at their jobs to encourage work and to reduce poverty."
Earned Income Credit or EIC is just another form of Welfare.
Iimp arbor said:
[...]
-------------------- And you just know there are young mothers who've figured out 20k a year is about the perfect income for the highest EIC payment with no taxes paid on their part.. 3 Kids or more also give the highest payout at that income...
You can also get that money included in your paycheck every week and not have to wait to get it at the end of the year. All they do is fill out the earned income advance form with the IRS. I forget the form number.
Basically they're being paid to have kids.. No one said anything about being responsable for them though..That doesn't affect the payout a bit..
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:50:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Well, are the fathers helping to support these kids? Very likely not....
"Well, are the fathers helping to support these kids? Very likely not...." ----------
Not sure what country you live in but here in 'merica it is not profitable to keep dad in the picture. You can get him to pay child support (non taxable), alientate him from his kids (brainwash them) and hook up with another dude (and milk his bank account as well) all without getting married and still qualify for this 'welfare' progam. It's called 'working the system' girlfriend.
Most of these ho's in 'merica have baybays by different fathers and these females don't do this with 'keeping the father in the picture' in mind.
This working of the system has systmatically lead to our current fatherless society with all its ills and this sense of entitlement that is so pervasive..
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 06:20:52 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Your misogyny is breathtaking. Are you a member of the Yearning for Zion collective?

total family income is low enough. We got it one time when I was out of work for about 6 months. That was 21 years ago. We got back about $500 more than we paid in Federal income taxes. We've more than made up for it since then.
Ken
Intact nuclear families are eligible for the EIC if the total family income is low enough. We got it one time when I was out of work for about 6 months. That was 21 years ago. We got back about $500 more than we paid in Federal income taxes. We've more than made up for it since then. Ken ------------
Never said they weren't. But those working the system often do the math and find being unmarried is more profiatble...
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Not this time. That was last time.
The pre-mailing was to get people out spending that check before it arrived. That way people can be out spending $600 and the economy can get $600 worth of "stimulation" when your $150 check arrives...

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote: ...

You really think they were that clever? :)
Might have worked on some, I suppose; that there was an attempt to "prime the pump" so to speak hadn't occurred to me as possibility--just looked(*) like a waste of trees, fuel and postage to me.
(*) Mostly still does, frankly... :)
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:36:10 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Hmmm, there can't be any taxes next year. Both candidates said so.

Franz Fripplfrappl

Somebody has to pay for the "Terrorism," whatever that might be. Bend over and grab your ankles!