Still more on Prius runaway

Page 4 of 7

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:15:05 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Oh, damn! Looks like you are COMPLETELY WRONG!
http://fwnextweb1.fortwayne.com/ns/editorial/oa/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/balloon.jpg
The box was described after the fact as being made of very lightweight panels taped together that would not have been strong enough to hold the boy while airborne. It was in fact, intended to carry instruments that did not weigh very much.
No one knew any of this, or even the size and carrying capacity of the balloon itself until after the fact. Pretty hard to judge the size of it when it was a tiny dot in the sky with nothing next to it for comparison. All they had to go on was what was reported BY THE FAMILY, who said they thought the booy was in the balloon and had somehow launched himself. That is the sum total of what was known until much later.
When the balloon first landed and the boy was not in the box, it was feared that he had fallen out.
Hindsight, 20/20, etc...

http://fwnextweb1.fortwayne.com/ns/editorial/oa/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/balloon.jpg
made?

I don't generally worry about typo's on usenet.

Shrug. If you make the same typo 50 times, it's not a "typo". And the plural of "typo" is "typos", not "typo's", which is the possessive. Yes, as a matter of fact I did used to teach English. :)

I didn't count how many times anybody used baloon where you or I might use balloon. It's not a way to win an argument in usenet, where few bother with spellcheck, most posts are casual conversation, and many participants do not speak English as their first language.
Typo's is short for "Typographical Errors" - the apostrophe is correct, and does not make it possessive.
On Mar 19, 2:35pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

That would be true if it were a contraction (do not = don't), but it's an abbreviation, not a contraction. You can have a "typo" or multiple "typos".
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:38:14 -0700 (PDT), tmclone

It is a contraction. "S" being the last letter of "errorS"

Not according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographical_error
They do not us an apostrophe at all and use typos instead.
A typographical error (often shortened to typo) is a mistake made in, originally, the manual type-setting (typography) of printed material, or more recently, the typing process. The term includes errors due to mechanical failure or slips of the hand or finger, but excludes errors of ignorance.[1] Before the arrival of printing, the "copyist's mistake" or "scribal error" was the equivalent for manuscripts. Most typos involve simple duplication, omission, transposition, or substitution of a small number of characters. Typos are common on the internet in chatrooms, Usenet and the World Wide Web and some, such as "teh", "pwned", and "pron" have become in-jokes among Internet groups and subcultures.[4]
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 00:13:25 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Wikipedia? LOL! How about maybe a cite from the OED or at leaast the AP stylebook?

LOL all you want. Prove me wrong. See more below.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/typo typo /'ta?po?/ Show Spelled[tahy-poh noun,plural-pos. Informal.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/611856/Typos Aspects of the topic Typos are discussed in the following places at Britannica.
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/typo typo Pronounced: /'ta?po?/ Function: noun Inflected forms: plural typos

The AP style book has no listing for typo either way (at least my copy of the 6th trade edition). Neither the APA Publication Manual or the AMA Manual of Style-- although that doesn't really surprise me, it is another data point. As I mentioned earlier, Merriam_Webster (among others) says that it is typos.
--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

Further. My copy of the Random House Dictionary of the English Language (Unabridged Edition) also says it is typos. Since this particular edition was copyrighted in 1967, it appears that usage has been in vogue for quite awhile..
--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

Are you guys done chasing your tails yet?
LOL

No, "Typo" is jargon. People who teach English often have a mental block when it comes to jargon. It freaks them out.

See what I mean!
On Mar 20, 8:42am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

for "typographical erroR". Since it's "typo", then CLEARLY, "typos" is plural, NOT a contraction. What part of that don't you get?
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:35:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Mabee in your private world.
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 23:19:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Okay, dopey. If it doesn't stand for "Typographical Errors", then what does it stand for?