Still getting tons of viruses?

Page 2 of 3
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:21:07 +0000, Alan wrote:

This worm can be blocked with a handful of rules. Clue, look at the To: header.

Because ones with the SWEN virus that are coming only to my Hotmail account, that I use only for newsgroup purposes, are all identified by Hotmail as junk mail, the solution was simple:
Choose what to do with your junk mail: Delete junk mail immediately Junk mail messages are deleted without ever being delivered to your Junk Mail folder.
I checked this option and don't worry about missing anything, as the few legitimate e-mail messages I get in this account were never identified as junk mail when I did not use this option and I have no reason to believe that would change.

Deliver to Junk Mail folder and delete later Junk mail messages are delivered to your Junk Mail folder so that you can review them. Note: MSN empties the Junk Mail folder regularly to keep the folder size small
In 30 minutes I received only one copy of SWEN, a big improvement.
Gee - This looks a lot like SPAM to me. So, let me get this right - you sell a spam eliminator by spamming? Would I do business with someone who does?
Bob

.... costly network attacks.

I don't sell anything; I'm not affiliated with activatormail at all idiot! I just posted a product that works for me and millions of others.

Forest wrote:

countermeasures..........."????????????????????????????
Sure sounds like a sales pitch. If you aren't affiliated, the sentence would begin "THEIR revolutionary countermeasures.....". Idiot? I think the guy understands the English language very well. And he wrote an appropriate response to your spam, er, message.
That was taken directly from their web page. Click on the link/source and you'll see.

Missed the quotation marks.
Yes, I concede that point. But I still maintain anyone with 1/2 a brain would have known to follow the link. Tell me my 1st 3 sentences sound like a sales pitch; they are a ringing endorsement of a very good product.

Forest wrote:

Anyone with half a brain probably isn't reading newsgroup posts. With more than half, the post looked like a sales pitch. If I was interested in the sales pitch, I could have done a quick search for the website. I know what links are for.

I get 200 to 300 spam messages a day. I went about dealing with it in a different way. I wrote an email client that only downloads the message headers and lists them in window. You get the sender, subject, size, and date but it does not download the message body. You can then delete what you want from the server and move the good ones (if there are any) to your Inbox. If I log on and there are 100 emails waiting it takes about 20 seconds to download just the headers no matter what the size of the emails. I can select what I want and drag and drop them in my Inbox and then select everything and delete them. Deleting 100 emails takes about 10 seconds. I'm on a standard phone line with a 56k modem.
This is not a sales pitch and I'll tell you right now that it does not work on XP. I wrote it when I was using Win98 but when I upgraded to XP it would not log on anymore. I did a crude hack to get it to work on XP but it is not something I've ever released. I use it every day but XP hack is not a piece of programming I'm proud of. If you have a PC with Win9x and you want to try it go to my web site and download the free version.
http://windsweptsoftware.com
Download Control Freak. It is the RemoteBox feature that allows you to get just the headers. When you set up your mail accounts besure to check the "Access RemoteBox with this account". It works with any standard SMTP mail server.
Greg

the right virus protection will solve this known threat and even the right firewall will not let this little trojan in. have the virus redirected to the original sender or just not downloaded. rules for email is a wonderful option. can be done and has been. haven't received one of these little suckers in weeks. went from about 50 per day to 0.
it's too bad that some of these viruses start here in AHR. you all know who the culprit(s) are.
protect your computer at all times when in AHR.
Genemy wrote:

Many newsgroups have the problem.

If you can tell who that is, you have far more knowledge than the average user.
wrote (with possible editing):

Yes, we all are.
To those of you with MailWasher, this filter works for about 95%:
Rule 1: The entire header contains RegExpr Content-Type: multipart/mixed|alternative
Rule 2: The entire header contains RegExpr boundary\="([a-z][a-z]*)"
Use "Apply this filter when all of the rules are satisfied".
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Wrong newsgroup for this, but since it's already here, I suppose you are still using Outlook Express. Keep using OE and you'll keep getting viruses. Get rid of OE and no more viruses!

Go Amish.

I do not use OE, but keep getting copies of SWEN in one account.

My ISP does a 100% job of filtering. I have never received a single spam mail and I don't miss any mail from excess filtering as far as I can see. The web based mail has hundreds of them of course. I think Yahoo and Hotmail let them through so they can push their upgrades.
On 2 Nov 2003 07:37:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@xoxy.net (MaxAluminum) wrote:

You got that right....... I avoid hotmail and yahoo mail like the plague.