Still getting tons of viruses?

Page 1 of 3
Several weeks ago there were some thread on viruses coming in fake Microsoft patches and undelivered messages. I was getting about 500/day. It is now down to maybe 50/day.
Just wondering if others are still having the problem, or if I am just lucky.

You're "lucky", you probably have many "friends" that use Outhouse Excuse. I received my first virus here today after several months of none.... NAV grabbed it as it came in.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

ending up in the junkmail folder, so it was simply a matter of having it deleted as soon as it went into the folder. The last time I checked they were still coming every few minutes..
Still getting 200 a day. It seems to me that the answer is that the ISP's should delay email routinely and scrub it in batches before delivering it. I know it would require more overhead but it seems like the logical answer to me. They would have dummy accounts like they do now to gather viruses from newsgroups and by adding a delay to the real accounts they could clean them of viruses and spam putting the spammers out of business.

was talking to someone from microsoft.... they use newsgroups addresses in order to email the virus... grrrrr

I thought I was all alone with this nuisance. Good to hear that others are having the same attacks.

Actually, if you don't use your real e-mail address on Usenet and have friends with a clue (who aren't stupid enough to use OE), you should never get any. If you start getting them, change your e-mail address and ensure the above precautions. Otherwise, you're doomed forever.

Nonsense. I use Outlook and don't get any junk mail or viruses. I use an email account on usenet that I don't check and could care less about, and I watch who I give my active e-mail account with.
On 3 Nov 2003 07:39:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

Notice I said OE. Outlook and Outlook Express are two completely different animals and while I don't think Outlook is much better, it doesn't have the same virus-magnet features as Outlook Express.
On 24 Oct 2003, John wrote:

I think it's slowed down to that level, but that's the best it's ever going to get. To clean up swen, it would need to be removed from every infected box, and being that some folks still have no idea that they are hosting it, that's never going to happen.
I've cut my e-mail down to 100% from only trusted addresses, and the rest of it gets flushed from my ISP's server before I even download it to my box. Sure, it eliminates the occasional mail from a "stranger" that I would like to receive, but it kills the hundreds of daily spam offerings and virus letters. If anybody's interested, there are a couple of shareware programs to do this. The newest. hottest is apparentlly "mail wash", and I use an oldie but goodie called "mail alert".
-snip-

You're a braver man than I am-- What happens when your mom [or wife, or business partner] changes their email [because of all these viruses or spam?] & is suddenly being ignored by you?
I happen to get a lot of *wanted* mail from 'strangers' so that wouldn't work for me anyway, but I can't even can the MS viruses without looking at them first. I d/l all my junk & send it to various folders. 'prob.Trash' gets a lot of mail lately-- and the 'MSVirus' folder is still getting 40-50 a day-- but they all get a quick once-over before they go in the bitbucket.
So far only the 'no Subject' folder has yielded anything I wanted to rescue--- but it ended up to be a great lead on a genealogical mystery.
Jim
On 25 Oct 2003, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I know, I never said it was a perfect solution! I guess I'm at the mercy of them picking up the phone or maybe flagging me down in the hallway at work. You know, like the good old days ;-)
John wrote:

Depends on the ISP, and how public your e-mail is. Mostly I haven't been getting *any* -- but I have a Yahoo account that is on a couple (no more) of job sites, and it fills up in just four hours. I literally can't log back in soon enough to keep it live. Since it had a professional purpose, I'm really steamed about it -- and I'm damned if I'll pay extra for the privilege of decent service.
I don't know if this will work with a hotmail account, but anyway...
I am using Outlook Express and here's how I handled that particular problem. Since it is well publicized that Microsoft does not send out patches ( you have to get them from their web site), I set up an email tool that if the sender is Microsoft then delete from the server. There may be 100 a day sent to me, but they never get to me.
Charlie

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:13:59 -0400, "Charlie Bress"

I don't know how this works because the sender often does not have Microsoft in the name.

directly from MS. The subject line would be about security patches. If folks are getting mail that has been sent from another victim"s address listing, then you could do a similar mail rule that referred to "patches" in the subject line.
Charlie
I guess I would like to know how many people have a anti-virus program on their computers..And if they have it running all the time or just when they start it up. I know that spam is another problem just like telemarketers.
It's just like the pesky little critters, they are hard to get rid of... Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks
Hi, You have to configure those programs to be effective. I use mail washer, AVG, and NAV. Tony
Kahlua53 wrote:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:04:48 +0000, Kahlua53 wrote:

Having switched to Linux several years back, I had been unconcerned about viruses. This one, however, did affect me. It was killer on my poor dial-up until it was filtered at my ISP. Damn Microsoft. ;-)