Still getting tons of viruses?

Several weeks ago there were some thread on viruses coming in fake Microsoft patches and undelivered messages. I was getting about 500/day. It is now down to maybe 50/day.

Just wondering if others are still having the problem, or if I am just lucky.

Reply to
John

you're not alone!!!!!!

Reply to
avoidspam

You're "lucky", you probably have many "friends" that use Outhouse Excuse. I received my first virus here today after several months of none.... NAV grabbed it as it came in.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

I was getting them in my Hotmail account. Fortunately they were all ending up in the junkmail folder, so it was simply a matter of having it deleted as soon as it went into the folder. The last time I checked they were still coming every few minutes..

Reply to
Alan

Still getting 200 a day. It seems to me that the answer is that the ISP's should delay email routinely and scrub it in batches before delivering it. I know it would require more overhead but it seems like the logical answer to me. They would have dummy accounts like they do now to gather viruses from newsgroups and by adding a delay to the real accounts they could clean them of viruses and spam putting the spammers out of business.

Reply to
Art Begun

I thought I was all alone with this nuisance. Good to hear that others are having the same attacks.

Reply to
Lost

I think it's slowed down to that level, but that's the best it's ever going to get. To clean up swen, it would need to be removed from every infected box, and being that some folks still have no idea that they are hosting it, that's never going to happen.

I've cut my e-mail down to 100% from only trusted addresses, and the rest of it gets flushed from my ISP's server before I even download it to my box. Sure, it eliminates the occasional mail from a "stranger" that I would like to receive, but it kills the hundreds of daily spam offerings and virus letters. If anybody's interested, there are a couple of shareware programs to do this. The newest. hottest is apparentlly "mail wash", and I use an oldie but goodie called "mail alert".

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Depends on the ISP, and how public your e-mail is. Mostly I haven't been getting *any* -- but I have a Yahoo account that is on a couple (no more) of job sites, and it fills up in just four hours. I literally can't log back in soon enough to keep it live. Since it had a professional purpose, I'm really steamed about it -- and I'm damned if I'll pay extra for the privilege of decent service.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

-snip-

-snip-

You're a braver man than I am-- What happens when your mom [or wife, or business partner] changes their email [because of all these viruses or spam?] & is suddenly being ignored by you?

I happen to get a lot of *wanted* mail from 'strangers' so that wouldn't work for me anyway, but I can't even can the MS viruses without looking at them first. I d/l all my junk & send it to various folders. 'prob.Trash' gets a lot of mail lately-- and the 'MSVirus' folder is still getting 40-50 a day-- but they all get a quick once-over before they go in the bitbucket.

So far only the 'no Subject' folder has yielded anything I wanted to rescue--- but it ended up to be a great lead on a genealogical mystery.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I don't know if this will work with a hotmail account, but anyway...

I am using Outlook Express and here's how I handled that particular problem. Since it is well publicized that Microsoft does not send out patches ( you have to get them from their web site), I set up an email tool that if the sender is Microsoft then delete from the server. There may be 100 a day sent to me, but they never get to me.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Gee - This looks a lot like SPAM to me. So, let me get this right - you sell a spam eliminator by spamming? Would I do business with someone who does?

Bob

$$ I ever

in email

to be .... costly network attacks.

or their ....

Reply to
Bob

I don't know how this works because the sender often does not have Microsoft in the name.

Reply to
Alan

I know, I never said it was a perfect solution! I guess I'm at the mercy of them picking up the phone or maybe flagging me down in the hallway at work. You know, like the good old days ;-)

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Alan, the stuff I was getting was supposed to look as if it was sent directly from MS. The subject line would be about security patches. If folks are getting mail that has been sent from another victim"s address listing, then you could do a similar mail rule that referred to "patches" in the subject line.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I guess I would like to know how many people have a anti-virus program on their computers..And if they have it running all the time or just when they start it up. I know that spam is another problem just like telemarketers.

It's just like the pesky little critters, they are hard to get rid of... Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks

Reply to
Kahlua53

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This worm can be blocked with a handful of rules. Clue, look at the To: header.

Reply to
thunder

Having switched to Linux several years back, I had been unconcerned about viruses. This one, however, did affect me. It was killer on my poor dial-up until it was filtered at my ISP. Damn Microsoft. ;-)

Reply to
thunder

I get 200 to 300 spam messages a day. I went about dealing with it in a different way. I wrote an email client that only downloads the message headers and lists them in window. You get the sender, subject, size, and date but it does not download the message body. You can then delete what you want from the server and move the good ones (if there are any) to your Inbox. If I log on and there are 100 emails waiting it takes about 20 seconds to download just the headers no matter what the size of the emails. I can select what I want and drag and drop them in my Inbox and then select everything and delete them. Deleting

100 emails takes about 10 seconds. I'm on a standard phone line with a 56k modem.

This is not a sales pitch and I'll tell you right now that it does not work on XP. I wrote it when I was using Win98 but when I upgraded to XP it would not log on anymore. I did a crude hack to get it to work on XP but it is not something I've ever released. I use it every day but XP hack is not a piece of programming I'm proud of. If you have a PC with Win9x and you want to try it go to my web site and download the free version.

Download Control Freak. It is the RemoteBox feature that allows you to get just the headers. When you set up your mail accounts besure to check the "Access RemoteBox with this account". It works with any standard SMTP mail server.

Greg

Reply to
Greg DeBacker

Because ones with the SWEN virus that are coming only to my Hotmail account, that I use only for newsgroup purposes, are all identified by Hotmail as junk mail, the solution was simple:

Choose what to do with your junk mail: Delete junk mail immediately Junk mail messages are deleted without ever being delivered to your Junk Mail folder.

I checked this option and don't worry about missing anything, as the few legitimate e-mail messages I get in this account were never identified as junk mail when I did not use this option and I have no reason to believe that would change.

Reply to
Alan