Stihl or Husqvarna?

Page 3 of 3

You're starting to smell like a troll - and if you are, then FOAD.
But if you're not, then you've already learned the first big lesson of life; "Shit *can* happen to me."
With that in mind, then heed the good advice you've gotten here to only use a chainsaw with 2 hands. In your case you'll need a prosthetic of some sort- but I'll bet if you ask around a bit you can either find another vet who has already overcome that hurdle- or a machinist and healthcare team who will enjoy the challenge. [and if you can't- email me and I'll see what I can do]
Jim

I watch that show about the loggers in Oregon. There's the one fellow who owns a company, and who has been logging all his life. And he has one hell of a bunch of scars and stumps. And I've watched him in the TV videos of him cutting and working with his prosthesis.
So, yeah, go for it. But to me, a one hand chainsaw just sounds a little trollful.
Steve

If you really want to operate it one-handed you should look into electric chainsaws, you can get light ones that start & stop with a trigger. Much safer if you are up a ladder ;)

As others have said. Buy it from a dealer, the big box stores do not service equipment.
If you can go the price, buy the professional model - there is a world of difference between pro and homeowner in chainsaws.
Never one-hand a chainsaw no matter how light or balanced it may be. Yes, the top handle saws can be used that way but it is about the most dangerous thing you can do in using a saw. Yes I used to do it until I almost cut my thumb off.
Bill's link is an excellent one.
Harry K
joe, 1/19/2009,5:49:26 AM, wrote:

The guy who uplifted the maple trees in my back yard used a small Stihl that was attached to his harness by a rope. I saw him using it one handed in very difficult angles while hanging sideways like a monkey from the tree limbs. He obviously knew what he was doing and had told me he was very happy with his saw.
joe wrote:

Shindaiwa - find your local dealer and try one. They have a specific arborist model for one hand operation.
Pete C. wrote:

"Shindaiwa", "Stihl" & "Husqvarna".....
Hmmmm. It seems to me the best chainsaws are made by manufacturers I can't begin to pronounce.
--
Consider the daffodil. And while you\'re doing that,
I\'ll be over here, looking through your stuff. -Jack Handey
joe wrote:

Echo CS-3000 (unless you can find a CS-2800)
Bob

Stihl makes two models for in-tree use, designed for one-handed use. However, be prepared to pay over $400 for them. http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/tree-service.html
How about an electric saw or even a cordless "sawzall"?
Bob M. wrote:

Hell for the small trees you can do what my lady did....
She used an electric carving knife<vbg>
Lou

Now THAT should be added to the other bumper stickers that say "Real Women Drive Trucks" and "Real Women Ride Motorcycles" (which I had on my car before it was stolen, dammit): Real Women Carve Trees.

No they don't. Read the manual and you see that it is a "WARING" itme saying not ot use it one handed.
That almost every make has top handled saws does not mean that they are "designed for one handed use" - none of them are.
HarryK

Geebus, whatever website you're fishing for, they need to hire less obvious fisheridiots. -----
- gpsman

One hand only, forget a chain saw look at an electric recriprocating like a Saws all but dual blade designed for wood, maybe Bosch. There are some cheap ones that clamp and may work, it will be slower but safer.