Stihl or Husqvarna?

Page 1 of 3
anyone with a recommendation for a small, arborist style chainsaw? the goal is the be able to operate it in small spaces with one hand.
please suggest also an online web store, if you know of any that sell Stihl or Husqvarna.
am aware of the Stihl 192T which appears to be little under 7 lbs but am willing to look at alternatives.

Some things are best bought at a local dealer. The saw will be assembled and set up to run perfectly.
Both are very good. My dealer in town sell both but gives a slight edge on reliability to Stihl.
I don't know of any brand or model that is truly safe with one hand so you'll have to make your own choice there. The balance would be difficult at best, but I'd think smaller is better.

-snip-
-snip-
I'll second that thought-- and raise it.
You're looking at 2 excellent brands. It suggests that you are going to use them to make money. Down time costs you money. Pay a few extra bucks now and buy it locally. And ask which the dealer prefers. The saw the dealer likes will be the one he's most familiar with. The mechanic will attend all the schools- and read all the bulletins from that manufacturer. You drop your saw off for a tune-up and that guy knows that the maker just discovered that changing screw xyz to bolt wxy will keep the saw from falling apart in the field. You just saved the price of a new saw that you had to buy to finish that job.

I'd love to see the manual that says 'so light you can use it with one hand'. OTOH- 30 years ago I one handed my 16" Poulan on occasion & still have all my parts. [and on yet another hand- my neighbor survived a 2-handed kickback that split his face from lower jaw to forehead and all he's got to show for it is a new nose, a great scar, and a appreciation for a liquid diet for several months]
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/products/chainsaws/357.php

I notice that has a safety bar brake. Just how does that operate one handed? If the hand in question is working the throttle control?
Huh? I hope you are not suggesting that this saw is a one handed saw.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Do you not understand how a chain saw bar brake operates? Yes, that saw is specifically designed for one handed operation while up in a tree.

Could you show us something from the manufacturer that confirms that?
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"Specialized low-noise, top-handle arborist saw. Extra power, balance, and short bar length make it an ideal in-tree unit." is as close as you will get to confirmation thanks to the asinine lawyers.

-snip-
Could you show me in the manual how they suggest you operate that saw with one hand?
Jim [I wanted to point you to their warnings which I imagine are there- but shindaiwa doesn't seem to put their manuals online. Here's the manual for Stihl's MS192T - another top handle arborist saw- 3 pounds lighter than the Shindaiwa http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/MS192T_Manual.pdf 60 English pages;; p3 "Do not operate a chainsaw with one hand. Serious injury to the operator, helpers, bystanders, or any combination of these persons may result from one handed operation. a chainsaw is intended for two-handed use." p4 "keep a good firm grip on the saw with both hands" p11 "Never attempt to operate the saw with one hand." "Always hold the saw firmly with both hands" "To reduce the risk of serious injury to the operator or bystanders, never use saw with one hand." p12 "This rule against one handed operation applies also for those compact saws for use in confined spaces." p17 "Hold the saw firmly with both hands"
Seems fairly clear-- the manufacturer would like you to use 2 hands.]
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

No, the manufacturer's lawyers require them to include that language. The professionals using that saw in the real world (some place lawyers are afraid to venture) know how to use the saw properly. It's the same reason that all chain saws come with useless anti-kickback chains which the pros throw out and replace with the professional grade non-anti-kickback chains that actually work and come in a package with 47,000 lawyer required warnings on it.

How can you be so wrong, so many times in one post.
It is not the lawyers, it is basic safety. Pro arborists will raise hell with a neophyte seen using one hand, Osha will down check a crew if they spot it. "all chainsaws come with antikick back..." BS. I have bought 3 new saws in the past few years (building my stable up). One pro, two homeowner and none of them came with anitkickback. I also just bought 3 new chains and none of those packages contained warnings.
You sound like a typical guy who thinks safety is for sissies, refuses to wear PPE and, if you run your saws long enough, will be deaf because you won't wear ear protection.
Harry K

Well, Pete, et al. Do whatever you wish. I know the safety practices I use when using my chain saws. YMM(and probably does)V.
Steve

I thought I'd save a few bucks by buying a new Husq.. on line rather than buying locally... I did save about $35. But when I tried it out the first time, the bar/chain got very hot after running it only a short time. Upon checking out what was wrong, I discovered the bar that came with the saw in the box did not have a oil hole to let the bar oil into the chain...... That would never have happened if I would have bought locally.. Luckily I did not run it long enough to incurr any damage to the chain or saw.....
I would suggest getting a catalog from each manufacturer to see what different size saws each make and go to your local dealer and ask them for recommendations. I have both Stihl and Husq and they both work fine for what I use them for. I have a 30 year old Husq. that will still cut as good as any new saw..... My new Husq has alot more plastic parts on it than the old one does... I doubt if it will last 30 years...
ps the online store where I bought my Husq quit carrying Husq saws....... They now carry Echo as their main brand....
Good luck! Steve

Both are good saws. I have a preference for the Stihl, but sales are tightly regulated.
You're asking about the *most* dangerous use of a chainsaw there is.
Best to ask the pros at the link below. These guys will be quite blunt about asking if you have the proper training to operate such a saw, but you're best to listen to their advice as it is for your own good. These guys know from experience...
Aarboristsite.com - Commercial Tree Care and Climbing... http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2
"joe" wrote in message

My dealer sells those two but says Echo now has a better motor, he bases it on repairs he makes. I was looking for trimmers and blowers, I know saws are different and the motor is only part of it and I am not familiar with saws just refering to the engines. But local Echo has a 3 or 5 yr warranty.
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 05:32:18 -0800 (PST), ransley

No, Echo is cheaper and everyone knows thats all you ever look at ransley. Because you are a cheap bastard and I might ad that the thought of you with a chainsaw in your hands is downright scary. Bubba

What a screwball-nutcase you are. I buy what is best and Echos motors are best bottleboy.
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 03:58:58 -0800 (PST), ransley

No, you are a tight wad.....period. You buy what is cheapest and Echo is definitely cheaper. Bubba

I wonder how much business you loose from posting crap. Echo last longer moron.