Stihl FS 36Trimmer Won't Start

My trimmer is hand operated. It's about 6 years old. It starts briefly and then dies. Mostly it won't start. I had a new plug put in it. Bad fuel mixture? Dirt in the fuel?

Reply to
W. eWatson

Hmmm, Your fuel tank has to breathe.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Could be old gas. Try new gas.

Reply to
Bill

P.S. New gas does not mean dumping the gas from the trimmer and refilling the trimmer with more old gas from your gas can. New gas means new gas from the gas station.

Reply to
Bill

It's possible it's the gas. I didn't mix the oil with in particularly well. However, the first time I filled it, it ran quite well. Maybe there was enough of the previous fuel in the trimmer to carry the day.

Reply to
W. eWatson

l.

W, 2700 feet

Its fuel or electric related, squirt some gas in the carb when it wont start, if no go pull off the plug wire and hold near the head to see if it gets spark. Most likely the carb has dirt in it.

Reply to
ransley

I have owned a couple of Stihl trimmers in the past. I found that the carburetor easily gets clogged with who knows what. The jets and ports are very small. Each spring I found that I would have to disassemble the metal cube they use for a carb. It actually is quite easy, just don't loose any very small parts and blow out every port, hole and cavity that you find with a spray can of carburetor cleaner. Reassemble it, and it would start immediately.

Reply to
EXT