Stihl Chainsaw running too fast

It's an older saw I bought at a garage sale. Runs well, except it runs way too fast. There is no idle when I release the trigger. However, if I push downward on the trigger button, it slows down to idle. In other words, the problem is in the trigger itself, not a carb adjustment screw.

My question is what is causing the trigger to not slow down. It's in the handle, so I'm not sure how to even get to it. When I remove the top air cleaner cover, I can see the rod that goes to the carb from the trigger, and when I apply downward pressure on the trigger that rod is pulled back and the saw slows.

Is this a common problem on these saws? How do I fix it?

Thanks

Reply to
jw

I don't know which direction is "downward" but if it's the opposite direction of "cut harder", it might be a spring. either in the handle or on the engine. It might be broken or unhooked from whatever it hooks to.

Reply to
micky

Thanks for the info. My saw is called the "Farm Boss". That's the only means of identification I can seem to find. Where the heck is the model and serial number? That plate on top that says "Farm Boss" is barely readable, lettering is worn away. I was barely able to make out those words. I did find a number stamped in the casting right below the edge of the removable cover over the air cleaner. That number is 6361415. That's all I can find after carefully looking over the whole saw. (Of course there are part numbers on individual parts, such as that air cleaner cover, and they all seem to begin with 9 1110 with more numbers after that.)

I noticed that the stihlusa.com site has downloadable manuals, but first I got to know the model number for this saw. Any idea where to find these numbers?

Reply to
jw

The "Farm Boss" is an 029 -- or Model 29 -- depending what decade. It's a "consumer saw," meaning there is a bit more plastic, and it's a bit more clunky than a pro model.

But, it is actually a decent saw, and a pretty good workhorse around the house -- or "farm."

As for your problem, I'd think I'd run a tank of non-ethanol premium gas, with some Seafoam fuel treatment in it, just for the heck of it.

I have a suspicion that might help. It won't hurt.

Reply to
tim birr

And here I was looking at the label on my underwear for it....

Reply to
jw