Stihl Chain Saw Question

I have a Stihl O21 chain saw about 5 years old, light usage. Last fall it developed problems starting and it got so once I would get it running, it would work until I shut it off then there was no getting it restarted until it cooled. I took it to the repair shop and the guy said that the head was warped and that it was not worth repairing. I talked to a different guy and he told me that if I changed the gas/oil mix for 1 bottle of oil to a gallon of gas, to 2 bottles of oil to a gallon of gas , I might get some use out of it. I tried this, this weeked and the thing works like a champ. Starts every time, hot or cold. My question now is, can this last or will it eventually sieze up? Can someone explain to me what is going on, why the heavier oil mix would make it run?

Thanks.

Reply to
aaa

If the head was warped I dought you would have compression, how did he check it, removing it is the only way. When a motor wont start hot see if you are getting spark, bad hot coils or ignition modules can do that until it cools. Or vapor lock from crap gas. I think your mechanics head is warped.

Reply to
m Ransley

If you want to know how good the motor is do a compression test. 32-1 is a good oil mix I don`t know what yours recomends, a richer mix and it should last longer but dont carbon it up.

Reply to
m Ransley

Why don't you ask the idiot who gave you that advice? Why bother us with your problems?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I for one am glad you brought this to light and that I hope you don't listen to that "kid on their parents computer" . I too am curious if anyone can add to this. I once had a Poulan that acted exactly just like that. Greyhound

Reply to
Grey-hound

Hey Brilliant One:

Perhaps the rings are shot and the additional oil helps increase the compression, or perhaps you have a bad seal or gasket in the crankcase, resulting in a leak.

Most chain saws don't have cylinder heads. They have one-piece cylinders that bolt to the crankcase.

I'd say your mechanic is an idiot.

Either way, the saw is shot.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Ed 20 hrs? usualy 200 to 1000 hrs

Reply to
m Ransley

sorry to hear about this problem with your Stihl. Please share with us...how did the head get warped? Is this something that can happen as a result of running with no oil mixed in the gas? I ran my Dad's outboard motor with no oil in the gas for about ten minutes...then the piston actually flew out the side of the engine...

:-{

Bill

Reply to
Bill

How long should a chain saw last?

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy

I had a cheap Homelite that was supposed to be good for about 20 hours, but I didn't get half that. My Stihl has a lot more hours and is still in top shape. I'm sure the manufacturer knows, b ut they don't publish that anyplace I've seen.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reality of a $69 chain saw. Crap.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ask any small engines mechanic: Chainsaws have one piece cylinders and there is no such thing as a warped head on a chainsaw. The saw is not shot, but it may need new parts. Usually if there is a hot start related problem with the saw, the piston, which is soft aluminum, has started to melt at the rings, causing small pieces of metal to flake off, increasing friction, especially when the engine gets hot. At that point. you can't get the thing to spin over fast enough to start. A new piston, rings and cylinder gasket will cost about $100 just a guess,and then you need to learn to put the thing together, but it is worth doing on a $600+ saw. The cylinder has a steel sleeve, so it is the piston which breaks down first. The cylinder walls will be scored, but emery cloth and elbow grease can fix that good enough for a firewood saw. Running extra oil is not a long term solution, you're scoring the cylinder, maybe beyond salvaging. Too lean of a mix can cause the above melting of the piston, and the saw will sometimes seize up in mid-stroke. Sometimes if the damage is minimal, and it may be in this case, a bit of piston polishing and a new ring will get you back to business for less than $25. Find an old timer who knows how.

JohnK

Reply to
Porky

The only thing I can figure about the hot starting problem and the extra oil"cure" is hat the rings are not sealing when it is hot and it is not getting enough compression, and the added oil is helping them to seal. I have heard of this years ago in older cars. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Hot start problems are usualy Ignition module, Coil , Condenser, bad plug wire, spark plug, vapor lock, air leak, or low hot compression or simply flooding. Vapor lock caused by cheap gas vaporising in the carb or line . Air getting into a cracked hose, loose bolt or screw, bad primer , bad carb gasket leaning out the mixture. Most likely Ignition or flooding. It could be Ignition Module-coil-consenser or simply bad secondary ignition - Plug wire, Plug, a simple no spark when hot test will show this.

My last failures were Ignition Module only when hot, second was plug wire only when hot.

A compression test hot and cold will rule out head, cilinder-ring issues and let you know true engine life.

A spark test hot will rule out ignition. If spark is not blue hot and cold it is ignition.

It could be a bad plug, even new.

A wet plug and blue spark and good compression are flooding.

You have alot of simple things to check first, a warped head as your mechanic said will not allow motor to run cold-no compression. Start with better Regular gas only and check spark plug condition. Even plugs are bought new bad, the stockboy or customer may have dropped it . Ive bought them bad, and Ive dropped them in the store, and I put them back.

Reply to
m Ransley