Sticky Window

An aluminum double window is hard to open. What can i use to make it move easy ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

I have used a heavy duty silicone spray on my windows.
---MIKE---

Silicone lubricant
---
desgnr wrote:

I just fixed up a bunch of storm windows on a friends house, they were loose and basically flapping in the wind! Anyway, I used paraffin wax for lubricant. I prefer it to grease, oil, and even silicone in some places.
desgnr wrote:

Oil works, light grease too.
--
LSMFT

beeswax
Steve
desgnr wrote:

all the gunk and debris in the tracks, rollers,glide blocks, or whatever. Is this up-and-down sashes (uncommon in aluminum around here), or horizontal sliding? Also use Mk I eyeball and a straightedge to make sure nothing is bent. Post a photo someplace, and we can probably give better advice.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

Amen! Aluminum corrodes (slightly) over time and the corrosion results in "bumps" in the tracks. After cleaning, go over everything with steel wool 'til it's shiny!
Then lubricate.

Aluminum windows actually ride on plastic guides. These can wear out but replacements are available at glass shops. Also dirt and crud can accumulate to cause grief.
The first stem is to define why you are having a symptom, once you correct the "why" the symptom should no longer be an issue.
--

Roger Shoaf

Double hung, casement windows or what?

Check for any binding, fix it, clean well and then lube.
On 5/31/2010 9:14 AM, desgnr wrote:

For aluminum windows, I use saw wax. It's non-staining, doesn't run and stays put. It's also handy for sliding drawers, wood or metal. Of course, it's lubricates saw blades too. I think I've seen it in the big box stores but any hardware store should have it in stock.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/relton/stickkut.html
TDD