Sticky Window

An aluminum double window is hard to open. What can i use to make it move easy ?

Reply to
desgnr

I have used a heavy duty silicone spray on my windows.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Silicone lubricant

Reply to
Charlie

I just fixed up a bunch of storm windows on a friends house, they were loose and basically flapping in the wind! Anyway, I used paraffin wax for lubricant. I prefer it to grease, oil, and even silicone in some places.

Reply to
Tony

Oil works, light grease too.

Reply to
LSMFT

Nobody else said it, so I will- step one is to field-strip and clean out all the gunk and debris in the tracks, rollers,glide blocks, or whatever. Is this up-and-down sashes (uncommon in aluminum around here), or horizontal sliding? Also use Mk I eyeball and a straightedge to make sure nothing is bent. Post a photo someplace, and we can probably give better advice.

Reply to
aemeijers

beeswax

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

Amen! Aluminum corrodes (slightly) over time and the corrosion results in "bumps" in the tracks. After cleaning, go over everything with steel wool 'til it's shiny!

Then lubricate.

Reply to
HeyBub

Aluminum windows actually ride on plastic guides. These can wear out but replacements are available at glass shops. Also dirt and crud can accumulate to cause grief.

The first stem is to define why you are having a symptom, once you correct the "why" the symptom should no longer be an issue.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Double hung, casement windows or what?

Check for any binding, fix it, clean well and then lube.

Reply to
Oren

For aluminum windows, I use saw wax. It's non-staining, doesn't run and stays put. It's also handy for sliding drawers, wood or metal. Of course, it's lubricates saw blades too. I think I've seen it in the big box stores but any hardware store should have it in stock.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas