Sticky wall problem

I have one of these oversized decorative clocks on the bathroom wall. It hangs on a screw into a plastic sleeve. To keep the clock slightly off the wall, and even, there are two bosses about 1" in diameter that press against the wall. The problem is that the pressure is such that it damages the paint. Of course, the clock covers this up, but I am a little anal retentive. The paint is a latex paint, and there is a modest amount of moisture in the bathroom, though it is well vented.
Any bright ideas from this august group as to how to keep this damage from happening? When I repair the paint, and modest dry wall damage, I'll take a hair dryer to it to try to completely cure the paint.
73 /paul W3FIS

How does it damage the paint?????

The pressure of the bosses caused the paint to lift off in that area.

Adding heat will probably make the paint weaker not stronger. Paint first dries by evaporation then it cures by some chemical reaction that I thinkj involes oxegen. Using a hair drier will probably screw up its normal dry then cure phases. Oh and teh cure phase takes a month so if you have to repair the drywall, prime properly and allow the paint to fully cure before you stick anything to it.
On 5/28/2012 9:44 AM, deadgoose wrote:

I've never faced such a dilemman, but if I had I would probably fashion something from soft white cloth. Roll a piece of soft, white cotton cloth and just lay it behind the clock near the top edge (and bottom, if needed). Holds clock away from wall and might keep condensation from dripping down into clock parts. A waterproof watch would be a whole lot easier :o)

Sounds reasonable. Trick is to relieve/remove the pressure of the bosses.
A waterproof watch would be a whole lot
Smart a.... <grin>

Go to Michael's or any picture-framing store. They will have little self- adhesive fuzzy pads meant for use in keeping picture frames from marking the wall paint.
Home Depot, Lowe's and other hardware stores sell similar pads, strips, and coins meant for use under chair legs and on cabinet doors. These can be trimmed and applied to your clock.
--
Tegger

On 5/28/2012 9:44 AM, deadgoose wrote:

I'd suspect something like a plasticizer bleeding out of plastic on the clock. It softens paint and a little pressure would deform it. Maybe glue something like felt pieces to the contact points to keep this from occurring.

Not going to work. I was an EE in another life...

I am waiting on parts for the clock at the moment. I'll repair the paint, service the clock, and break out some of those felt pads, as I keep some around.
If something is applying too much

Makes sense..