STICKY-TILES

Small "powder room" with beat looking vinyl floor covering.
We got a box of sticky-tiles at Home Depot. Scrubbed and rinsed the old surface. Waited a weekend for it to dry, then put down the new tiles.
A few weeks later, the tiles are lifting. ????
Anything special I should've done to the old covering to make the new tiles adhere better ? I hesitate running a sander over the floor.....
For what its worth, the box says "Made in China" ( maybe they haven't mastered the concept of sticky-tiles? )
<rj>
I don't think in my 58 years on the planet that I've ever seen that work. I don't think anyone has that down.

Replace the tiles with a linoleum tile pattern. Thats what i did

Self stick vinyl tile sucks over anything but a pristine surface, no matter what country it's made in. To mastic the new stuff or do it right at this point will both require ripping up something, so you may as well do it right. Pull the toilet, sink and baseboard, rip off the old flooring, (a 6 foot iron wrecking bar with a chisel point is good for this, forgot what they are called). Get down to a good subfloor (or mortar bed if old house) and tile properly from there. You may need a layer of 1/4 inch tile backer, there are some nice new non- cement-based wet backers available, or just 1/4 inch masonite for powder room.
You might try running a hot roller over them. This is the same result i've had with sticky tiles.
steve

I have had good results by priming the floor with polyuerethane and applying self stick tiles after a couple days drying, very hard to remove after.
beecrofter wrote:
<snip>

Might be your best way to get rid of interfering texture. If so, rent a random obital sander. They remove material surprisingly fast and usually have a hose to connect to your vacuum to take care of the dust.

Second the motion on that procedure. I've had outstanding results with polyurethane over decent plywood. Always touch sand it a bit to get the level.
Joe
I'm just wondering if there was any wax on the floor. Also, how textured the floor was that it was applied over.
--
Kate
______

Wife stripped the old floor surface using a household cleaner.
( Mr. CLEAN ?? )
Very slight texture on the old floor. I'm not sure they make "glass-smooth" floor covering any more... too slippery.
<rj>
That MIGHT have done it, though good old sudsy ammonia would have been better. Seems to me that it should have stuck.
Have you thought about any of the suggestions that have been offered?
Kate

Wife stripped the old floor surface using a household cleaner.
( Mr. CLEAN ?? )
Very slight texture on the old floor. I'm not sure they make "glass-smooth" floor covering any more... too slippery.
<rj>
I like the idea of priming the floor with a polyurethane varnish. ( I would use "flat" ) Then put down the spare tiles.
Second idea is to chuck it all, buy an appropriate tough carpet, and cut it to size...... ( how do you find one that doesn't fray ? )

<rj>