sticky iron

I dropped a hot iron on a synthetic carpet. Before I could pick it up, some of the fiber stuck to the ironing surface. Now too sticky to use. How can I clean up?

Reply to
Cliffy

I have the same problem when a certain individual (who shall go unnamed, for my own safety) in my house cranks up the iron to its highest setting and then irons synthetic fabrics. Within 2-3 uses, the iron's all brown and won't glide across clothing. Rowenta, the iron manufacturer, makes a cleaning kit that works like a charm. The functional part of the kit is a tube of cream. You put an inch or two of it on a clean, white all-cotton towel, turn the iron to "high", and iron over the cream. The towel ends up brown and the iron ends up clean. It sometimes takes more than one application if the iron is REALLY messed up. Afterward, you aim the iron over a clean part of the towel and press the stream button so it blows any cleaner residue out of the holes. Finish with a Q-tip.

I got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Linens & Things might carry it, too, or check

for a dealer in your area.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Reply to
Cliffy

Glad it worked. If you see the Rowenta kit someplace, buy it. Based on 3 uses so far, I'm guessing I'll get 10-15 more out of it. I only needed to squeeze out about twice as much as you'd put on a toothbrush. Apparently, when the iron hits it, the stuff liquifies, and as long as you keep the iron moving, the entire soleplate gets treated.

Reply to
Doug Kanter