sticking doors

In this very humid weather, the front & back exit doors in my c. 1900 vintage house are VERY difficult to close.
How do I fix this? Is it a simple matter of planing off a bit? From which side (or all)?
I'm guessing that if I took any off the hinge side, though, I'd have to adjust/reinstall the locks (they both have the kind of deadbolt that sits on top of the actual door on the inside, and latches with a vertical "rod" into a piece which is attached to the jamb).
Thanks!
Sounds crazy but, try coating the sticky parts with candle wax before you try 'shaving' the doors.
Dan

which
on
into
Don't start by planning the doors, it is not possible to put the wood back.
Doors do get a little larger when the humidity is up, but if they fit five years ago under the same conditions, then something else is causing the problem now. It could be a settling of the house, a wearing away of the door's finish allowing additional moisture to get in, a leak somewhere putting more moisture into that area or a hinge coming a little loose.
Look for the real reason first. Fix that.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Examine the finish of the door, threshold, and jamb to locate the point where they come into contact with each other. Check for loose hinge screws or other problems. Check the top and bottom of the door. The top and more often than not the bottom don't get finished as well as the faces. This lets moisture into the door and swelling happens. When you determine where the trouble is you need to do a logical fix. It could be the jamb has moved or twisted. It needs to be repositioned and secured. Screws loose? Paint? In other words just don't assume it's the door. Cutting back the door is the last resort.

which
on
into

sits
Are their any doors sticking inside the house, or unusual cracks in the walls/ceiling? I'm guessing this is a pier and beam house as old as it is, and am not that familiar with the settling aspects of them, but with a slab foundation on this stupid texas clay we have in DFW we have to make sure the ground is watered sufficiently during these dry times or we get the settling/shifting etc that can cause door problems.
Just a thought.
Maury Wylie, TX
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 11:45:27 GMT, someone wrote:

Huh????
-v.