Stick-on or nail-on felt chair glides?

I need to put some felt glides on new dining room set to protect the hardwood floor. I'm trying keep from doing this twice. Which are more likely to stay put, the adhesive or the nail on glides?

Thanks,

Reply to
CraigT

I have both. The stick-ons are not bad. I never had any come off. I also have the screw-on teflon glides. I had to drill a pilot hole first in the leg to avoid splitting the wood. What I am starting to notice though is that the teflon is wearing off, thus leaving the screw exposed and almost dragging on the floor, so I am keeping an eye out for that.

Reply to
Mikepier

I've never had an adhesive glide work for more than a couple of months before it started creeping off the end of the chair leg. Nail-on would certainly seem to be more permanent but all that I've seen would be rather unsightly on a piece of fine wood furniture. A while back I saw a style of felt glide that had a small-diameter stem molded onto the top that would insert into a hole drilled into the chair leg and it looked as if it might be a step up from the nailed type in that little would be visible. Unfortunately I've lost track of the manufacturer.

Reply to
John McGaw

My guess the nail will stay put better, but a nail might scratch the floor if it comes loose. There are very effective adhesives if applied to clean-dry surfaces.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've had good luck with adhesive felt glides, sliding over oak floors.. After a year, still no appreciable wear, and all 24 are still aligned with the chair legs. A tip: scrape and lightly block-sand chair leg bottoms, then wipe with alcohol or similar solvent. The new contact adhesives depend on a really clean surface, to stick properly.

Reply to
Roger

I've used the stick ons without any problems. I'd try those first, if you have problems, put a really small nail through them.

Reply to
kevharper

Just remember to sink the nails in well. You don't want the nailheads poking through as the felt get compressed, etc.

Reply to
Noozer