Stepping off a ladder onto the roof

I could have explained it too, but I didn't think to.

What did you think a ladder stabilizer was? I'm curious.

Anything to do with gyroscopes?

Reply to
mm

Where did you get them?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

No, I presumed he was talking about those feet extenders that you put on ladders to make the base more stable on uneven terrain.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I solved my whole roof/ladder problem when I found an inside corner where I could put the ladder and them climb up and get off *sideways*.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

My favorite choice also.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

or add a opening skylight, come on roof thru attic.

this should be REQUIRED in places like new orleans that can flood fast so someone trapped in a attic has a way out in a flood..........

Reply to
hallerb

FWIW, I don't think the problem in NO was that the flooding was FAST, so much as it that, once the water's high enough to convince you you'd rather be on the roof, it's already too deep to go outside. And if you're going to mandate a roof hatch, are you going to mandate a little rubber raft, too? And little bottle of iodine tablets and two cans of spam?

Reply to
Goedjn

And suicide pills for when you realize that you can't wait forever to be rescued :-)

Reply to
Sam E

And a laptop computer with newsgroup access, in case you need more spam....... Such as "Work at home"..... That would give you something to eat and something to do while you drown. This laptop should also have web access to ebay, for bidding on plane tickets and fake memorbilia from the remains of your city.

If I was trapped in an attic that was flooding, I sure as hell would bust a hole thru the roof or gable end.. Some people just dont seem to have any common sense......

Reply to
emailaddress

Or in places (a) where houses have basements and (b) are located near a nuclear plant -- in case of meltdown (easily accomplished, apparantely, by eg driving boats into water intake valves if site is on river).

Why?

Well, with all the fallout, you can escape it only by lying on basement floor, where the path to ground surface goes through enough ground and subterrainian (sp?) rocks strongly dimishes the rays.

*EXCEPT* for the roof -- whatever falls up there will radiate down at you. So you have to get rid of that fallout.

How? With a hand-held leaf-blower -- given that you can get *onto* the roof (quickly!, on and off).

For that, some kind of trap-door onto the roof, from the attic, would be a help -- a big help.

Of course, the leaf-blower would have to be gasoline-powered (meltdown means no more electric power).

Early on, you'd go up there every hour or two, I guess, to blow the stuff off the roof.

David

Reply to
David Combs

I would suspect that a water sprinkler on the roof would wash the dust off easier & better and could be operated from the basement. You might need a battery operated pump, but there is a good chance water pressure will last longer than electricity.

Reply to
Nick Hull