Stench in my basement

My freezer failed last month and almost all of the meat and all of the fish had to be tossed. The repairman said the controller needed to be replaced. He is coming back next week to do that, He also said they would have reimbursed me for the spoiled food, if I had purchased the protection plan! Maybe I shoulc have done that.
My problem is the stench is still in my basement, I keep the door open to make it bearable. This afternoon I am going to lay it on its side and clean the underside. Any ideas for making this place smell livable?
Dick
Add pictures here
✖

What's contaminated? Just the freezer, or surfaces around it like the floor?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 12, 9:43 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Spray it down with bleach and wash it good.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 12, 9:43 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Keep in mind that fridges and freezers can be damaged by laying down and subsequent start up. One recommendation is to keep it upright a day or so before restarting. Your repairman would likely know the best answer. HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
Vinegar.
-Zz
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:43:02 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Dick,
An open box of baking soda in the freezer will work after you've washed down the contaminated surfaces. It takes a long time though. In the meatime spray around large quantities of air freshener and air out the basement if it isn't too cold.
Dave M.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 12, 9:43 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Have you tried Febreze? Might be less rough on plastic components. Not sure whether a restoration outfit like Servcemaster could help, but might be worth a phone call. HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
Joe wrote:

Look carefully at what Febreeze is. I'm concerned that it is dangerous to use.
Add pictures here
✖
How about washing the inside with baking soda? Sounds like you might never get the stench out.
(Dick Adams) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
on 4/7/2008 6:07 PM Boden said the following:

Ingredients: "Contains water, alcohol, odor eliminator derived from corn, organic polymer, fragrance. Contains no phosphate".
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Two of these <http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p175&cat=2,42194,40727> cleared the smell of gasoline from inside my van in four days.