Steel Studs

I am still in the planning stages of redoing my basement. I came across a pamphlet for steel studs (to be used instead of wooden 2x4's). I'm just wondering how good the studs are. I can't imagine any problems, but then again, I've never seen them installed before. So before I go and make a big investment, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience -- good or bad, with them. (BTW, they would be in a basement on a cememt floor -- will this cause them to rust?)

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Smith

In Hawaii, steel vs wood is often a price issue. Steel, of course, has no termite problems. Never heard of rust as an issue. You will need to learn new methods of construction/fastening.

-- Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Reply to
John Keiser

---------------------- Steel always beats wood given that:

  1. The steel studs are a thicker gauge than the commodity materials (you'll have to investigate what the guages of 'cheapo' vs 'High Quality' are.

  1. You fasten to, and route through the steel studs properly. This can easily be learned by perusing the Web.

(Remove mypants to reply by email)

Reply to
abekl98034mypants