Steel Roof

I need a new roof and was thinking of a steel roof. Why? they last longer? stand up better? I'm not sure . Any input would be greatly appreciated. Is it cheaper to use steel?

Yep.
The only other metal I've heard of using for roofing is copper, which is more expensive than steel, on a lb for lb basis.
- John Hines -

- Nehmo - Aluminum, here's an example http://www.lakesmere.com/roofingstandseam.html Another system http://www.jaindo-mi.co.id/jaindo_02.html And there are other systems. You can make a completely maintenance free roof that will last indefinitely form aluminum.
And there are some custom roofs that use a type of stainless steel. The Kemper Art Museum in Kansas City, Missouri has a stainless steel shingle roof. I can't find a good pic of it. This is all I could find: http://www.kemperart.org /
Zink http://www.amdconstruction.co.uk/metalwork.htm
Lead http://www.countrylife.co.uk/lifecountry/interiors/lead_roofing.htm
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
Me wrote:

just had decra by tasman roof put on. these are shingle type. they are screwed down. i had a choice between a 40 year asphalt type roof for 6500 and the decra was 9500. complete tear off and the roofer did not make much on me. i am sure the decra should of been closer to 1100. this was a complete tear off. you can put decra over a single layer of regular shingles.
Me wrote:

Looked into it. Metal will last longer, but the price made the determiantion.
30 year asphalt shingles $4200 for house and garage Steel $14,000 for house only
I could buy 90 years of standard shingles for the cost of the 50 year metal. -- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Steel is fire proof and will lower your insurance cost. Steel can be placed over the top of an existing compostion roof without tearoff and will save that expense. Some types are more expensive than others. An "R" panel roof is much less expensive than a "standing seam" type roof. However there is a compromise standing seam roof that snaps together, saving the cost of seaming.
You could expect a snap lock roof to run from $2.50 to 4.50 a square foot.

Yes, a metal roof will allow you to apply for a lower insurance premium, however there's a trade-off. In order to receive the discounted premium you'll have to sign a document stating that you understand that your insurance will only pay for actual penentration of the roofing material. In other words, if your metal roof suffers only cosmetic damage in a bad hail storm (for example) - enough to pock mark and dimple the roofing material but not enough to cause actual penetration - your insurance won't cover the damage. What it means is that, if you've applied for and received the metal roof discount on your homeowner's policy, your insurance company is off the hook to have to pay a claim for cosmetic damage. Without the discount, they *do* have to pay for cosmetic damage.
That's the story I got from State Farm when I inquired about a discount for my metal roof. After getting all the facts, I elected *not* to apply for the discount (it wasn't that much anyway).
Your insurance carrier may be different. I would certainly check it out first.