Steam Radiator Repair - Epoxy

Want to see how I've expoxied a cracked radiator?
http://209.197.228.45/~podjars/rad.htm
What do you think? Will it hold?
MS

I doubt it. The metal will expand and contract and there is pressure on the epoxy. Might buy you a few days, but welding is the proper cure.

the
Call it weld if you like, but I think brazing would be the proper term.
Suggest the OP might try asking in < rec.crafts.metalworking > if his epoxy repair fails.
--

SVL

Epoxy , no , Solder mayby , Brazing - welding yes

Yeah, right. I'd like to see you weld cast iron.
Idiot.

"Oscar_Lives" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net> wrote in message

Thanks for proving my point!

No, I proved it can be welded, albeit with some care needed, You sait NO.
The time spent on Dan's site can be a lot better than asking here.
http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id Your answer is about 3/4's of the way down.

<< What do you think? Will it hold? >>
No. Brazing might be better, welding with nickel rod will work best and is much faster to do. HTH
Joe

there's lots of different types of epoxy. i'd use marinetex if i had to use epoxy, which is good enough to use on engine manifolds.

But an engine manifold has a vacuum, not pressure. This says it is for dry environments.
http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20PAGE_files/All%20MarineTex%20Putty/marinetex%20faq%20info.htm Up to what temperature can Marine-Tex be used?
Depends on pressure and conditions, up to 250F constant temperature, spikes up to 300-325F in dry environments.
This is not suitable either because of temperature.
Can I apply FlexSet to a repair that is submerged in water? Yes. FlexSet has an amazing ability to almost push the water aside so that it bonds directly to the repair surface. The attraction of the FlexSet to the repair area increases as the material reaches full cure (24 hours in 72F)
What temperatures can FlexSet withstand? Once fully cured, FlexSet can withstand temperatures from -40F to 100F.
I don't mean to argue, I was just wondering.
However, I once repaired the water jacket in an aluminum manifold, during wintertime and while the manifold was on the car. The crack was on a rounded section and appeared to curve out of sight. JB Weld held and the leak was gone for as long as I owned the car. Just a story, from personal experience.
The radiator is now connected and I am going to observe it for a few days. Who knows...
MS
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:39:35 GMT, Michael Stoic