Steam Heat Costs

Page 2 of 2
Bob wrote:

I think the issue is: A single zone steam heat system can be very inefficient because it usually keeps on giving heat long after the thermostat is satisfied.
I don't think anyone is questioning the "it usually keeps on giving heat long after the thermostat is satisfied." but rather the "very inefficient because" part.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
You might be interested in the link below..they claim save heat 50%.
http://www.biotechresearch.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_idr
It would be more accurate to say it can increase your heating bill by 100%.

Do your own energy audit. Get a clamp on digital amp meter and measure load drawn on each circuit , get a Kill-A-Watt meter apx 25$ and measure everything, unless small things are new and Energy Star rated idle draw can add 10-30 $ a month for things like TV radio etc, use switched strips and turn things off when not in use. My old panasonic radio and sony tv both cost me 7 $ a month to not use, I did not know it till I got a Kill A Watt. Research insulation, and new apliances. Old 15 yr refrigerators can cost 15-25 a month, I got a new sears 19,5 that costs 3.5 per month, then I recessed it into a foam enclosure reducing it to 2.5 a month. You must learn, Energy Star is a good place to start. Compare electric to Ng or Propane per Btu, Electricity for most of the US is still 50% more per Btu than Ng