Stealing satellite

Jim can speak for himself, but Google gave me a different picture.

It's still prejudice.

Reply to
Dan Espen

No technically about it.

It is theft of intellectal property.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Isn't that what the writer's strike is about? Their intellectual writings being distributed by holly wood...no compensation.

Same with movies/software - not being paid for.

China is the worst for theft ...no regards for ownership, imo.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Bill Cosby (Popcicle guy?) did a film on prejudice.

His end words where that he was not prejudice, just a bigot :-))

He DON'T like anybody!

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

cess until the

=BDI was once

He wonders out

s dish? Would

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand, or care , what intellectual property is.

So let's say EVERYONE "tunes in" cable channels or satellite without paying for it. The company gets zero dollars, goes out of business, because it actually costs money to stay IN business. See, it costs money to pay cable installers, run coax, buy distribution boxes, pay for the channels that they are supplying to customers, pay for health care for their employees, etc.

So now the company has no money. But hey, nobody did anything wrong, right? Now, clearly, the company was damaged by the activity of all of those people.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Ridiculous. It costs money to broadcast signals through a satellite. It costs the sat company money to buy the rights to channels they are providing.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Since when is their cost the determining factor of whether or not their property is being stolen? It's theft because there is damage. I know there is damage because if everyone stole their signal, they would go out of business.

Obviously, the difference is that the sat company doesn't own the sun. But at least even you recognized above that it's THEIR satellite signal.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Corporations have so much "control" over the government that they have to abide by thousands of pages of regulations and pay billions in taxes. So much for control.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I worked in Las Vegas during the time Bill Cosby was popular and playing Las Vegas. The man is THE worst tipper in the world, and his entourage can plug up the whole system with their lollygagging.

I used to park cars. After letting his Porsche 928 sit and idle until it nearly ignited, management had a special meeting with parking attendants and asked that we give him preferential treatment as a favor to them even though he did not tip. No one wanted to park his car or get it for him because he was a stiff, and because it took him and his entourage a half an hour to get out of the driveway. Then he had the balls to publicly say he didn't like coming to Las Vegas because everyone had their hands out.

Bill Cosby. What a total jerk.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

That's largely illusion.

Anyway, I never said I approved of unauthorized cable/satellite reception (I don't). Some people sure like to make up junk.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Thats just a carefully choreographed dance they do to make it look like they are not beholden to the big money interests.

Reply to
George

I don't think there is any doubt that one person could give someone else one of his receivers and the second party could then receive satellite TV with it.

One thing that might, perhaps, give these two people pause, though, is that GPS (global positioning system) is becoming very cheap and it's conceivable, I suppose, that satellite companies could incorporate GPS in their system and determine exactly where the receiver is located.

Reply to
mg

Dish already has a cheaper solution in place- if you have two receivers, both must be hooked to a phone line, or they add five bucks a month to your bill. When the box phones the 800 number every X days to get the update, their computer compares the caller ID to the phone number of record. If it doesn't match, expect a charge on the bill, or a call from their fraud folks, or even a shutoff on the receiver.

Hey, these overpriced boxes are how they make a living. They have gotten pretty good about preventing the formerly easy ways to scam them. Why do you think they stopped using removable account cards? Hacking the box itself is a lot harder.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Sheesh. Are you a 5th grader on the playground at elementary school? What a pussy.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

If two people wanted to watch Dish Network, and split the bill which might perhaps be $100/month, I don't think a $5 a monthly penalty would be much of a deterent.

Reply to
mg

"Dave Bugg" wrote in news:CR7nj.536$hr6.44@trndny04:

He's SENSITIVE......

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Larry Bud wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

It's NOT "stealing their signal",as they broadcast their signal into EVERYONE'S homes regardless of whether they want it or not.

They have already GIVEN me that signal.It washes down upon my house like sunlight,freely. All I have to do to use it is decode it. Where they make their money is renting decoders. If I have my own,I don't need to rent from them.

(that's why they make it so hard to decode their signals,so everybody CAN'T do it.And not everybody would,for a number of reasons.)

Not after they broadcast it everywhere.(like sunlight) At least Cable pipes their signals through a wire to those who order it,and illegal users have to tap into the cable company's actual property to steal it.(and that tapping process has measureable,definite negative effects [real damage] on the company's property,also some hazard.) Like I said,a BIG difference.

As I said before,if a company mails you their product unrequested,you are not obligated to pay for it.If it's in another language,you still don't have to pay for it after you translate it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

How does DISH handle the situation where you DON'T have a land-line? Say you exist with only a cell, or you're in an RV taking a retirement, three-year, spin around the U.S., or you're in a fishing cabin in the outback?

Reply to
HeyBub

See the USA and pay bills on line! Bill it to your home address.

Get a rotating dish/reciever from the friendly RV dealer (or other). Mounted to the roof.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

They used to (still?) require a photo of the RV or whatever and a copy of the registration and you then purchase content via their website.

Reply to
George