Stealing satellite

Page 4 of 6

Yeah its not like they have to pay for the satellites of the electricity to run the place or the programming or anything. It just sorta appears out of thin air and you availing yourself of the stuff for free doesn't really hurt anyone. Sorta like shoplifting in that someone has to pay for "negligible effect".

Might be a good idea.

You are stealing by any normal definition, except for those who are really trying to convince themselves of something.

As I said previously,they ALREADY are putting their satellite signal into my home;It's paid for regardless whether I rent one of their decoder boxes. My providing my own decoder does not increase their costs in any way.
It's no different than charging me for sunlight.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Of course it is. Sunlight is passive. You can enjoy it by merely going outside or even looking outside. But in order to get cable signals, you have to do something active. You have to get special equipment, you have to find away around the security systems (which alone should tell you something). About the only way the two are remotely the same is if you start getting cable signals through your braces.

What about sitting outside drive ins (they do still exist) and watching the movie. Is that stealing? Would it be stealing if you used a scaffold?

UH,the discussion was about SATELLITE;no different than sunlight.
CABLE is a hard-wired system you have to CONNECT to.Like putting a tap on the water or electric mains.

So,if I install my own solar panels,the power company can charge me for the sunlight,because I had to do something "active" to get electricity from the sunlight?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Talk to God about that one since he's sending out the rays. He's *NOT* by any stretch of the imagination or dictionary definition sending out the satellite signals you are stealing.

Maybe you noticed that receiving from satellite is the same, so quietly switched to cable.

But not that. "Security" can be excessive.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

But it isn't. You have to get the receiver, you have to find some way around the encryption, there are all sorts of steps that make it anything but passive.

Seems like anything that gets in the way of you getting something for free that others pay for meets your definition of "excessive".

I could explain it to you, but could never do YOUR thinking for you.

Absolute nonsense.
Anyway, I wasn't doing that (getting anything I hadn't paid for), just engaged in the "hopeless" task of trying to get people to think for themselves a little.
"No good deed goes unpunished" :-)

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

As passive as satellite.

You can receive the signals passively, I guess I am probably doing that now. But to actually view them or get some use out of the signals, you have to be anything but passive.

Welcome to alt.home.repair where we offer home repair advice and try to guide the ethically challenged to a better way of life.
If the corporation that made the sun sent you a bill, I guess you wouldn't pay it?

Until they send you to the collections department, supposed run by some buy called Saint Peter. I've heard he can really be spiteful about past aggressions...
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com

Since when is their cost the determining factor of whether or not their property is being stolen? It's theft because there is damage. I know there is damage because if everyone stole their signal, they would go out of business.

Obviously, the difference is that the sat company doesn't own the sun. But at least even you recognized above that it's THEIR satellite signal.

It's NOT "stealing their signal",as they broadcast their signal into EVERYONE'S homes regardless of whether they want it or not.
They have already GIVEN me that signal.It washes down upon my house like sunlight,freely. All I have to do to use it is decode it. Where they make their money is renting decoders. If I have my own,I don't need to rent from them.
(that's why they make it so hard to decode their signals,so everybody CAN'T do it.And not everybody would,for a number of reasons.)

Not after they broadcast it everywhere.(like sunlight) At least Cable pipes their signals through a wire to those who order it,and illegal users have to tap into the cable company's actual property to steal it.(and that tapping process has measureable,definite negative effects [real damage] on the company's property,also some hazard.) Like I said,a BIG difference.
As I said before,if a company mails you their product unrequested,you are not obligated to pay for it.If it's in another language,you still don't have to pay for it after you translate it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Sam E wrote:

Of course it's not the same. The more people who watch unauthorized satellite TV, the more DTV or DISH can charge their advertisers.

no authorized viewer, no $$ income.
widespread theft decreases the value of satellite tv, and besides its not reliable, anti theft measures are being implemented constantly knocking out your free service, which really isnt free, you likely paid someone for advice as to how to watch err steal service......
sit down to watch your favorite show just to find its out from latest countermeasure...........
geez isa it worth it?
let alone your name in the paper for theft???
it costs tons to uplink, satellite, and support satellite tv, isnt the company deserving of some profit?
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:08:29 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

A voice of reason!!!!
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:08:29 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

That would be confusing yourself (when you watch TV without paying for it) and everybody. Why would you do that?

I think that's true. I have seen lots of ads for hacked cable boxes at really high prices in magazines.

What I was posting has nothing to do with sanctions, but with the act )of receiving cable.satellite signals) itself. Disorganized thinking is an increasingly common problem.

Yes. I never said otherwise.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Something obviously beyond the scope of what I was talking about.