Stayin' Warm

Page 1 of 4
Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we survived last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I sure am glad I have an onboard fresh water tank and a pump ! This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I think they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before it happens again !
--
Snag

On 1/7/2014 10:51 AM, Snag wrote:

My sister heats with wood. She says normally 12 or 13 face cord per year. So far they have been through 15 or more face, and hardly keeping the house comfortable. The wind is blowing all the heat away.
I also had a frozen pipe, neglected to leave the water dripping. Sigh.
and am presently charging the battery on my Blazer, which hasn't started yet this morning. Lucky the power is still on.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The camper loses a lot of heat , it was never meant for winter use . But we've got a few thousand trees , quite a lot of standing and downed dead wood . That should get me thru the winter , we'll be better prepared next year . And we DID leave a faucet dripping , just not quite enough flow . My truck too is on the charger , wouldn't kick over earlier . I also hung a 75W incan light bulb down between the rad and motor and threw a cover over the hood area . I had slush in the radiator , but apparently not enough in the motor to lock up the water pump .
--
Snag

On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

Sorry to hear the cold is giving you trouble. I wonder if I have any filament light bulbs I can leave under the hood. Today I did use a ceramic space heater to help thaw pipes.
My truck won't start on ether, so my main mechanic suggests some heat on the distributor cap, in case there is water in there.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I'm not bragging or anything, but it was -2 this morning and both my '04 and my wife's '05 started with one push of the remote from my nice warm living room. My daughter had to go out and start her '02, but it turned over on the first try.
My wife's car usually stalls right after starting when it's below 20 or so, but the remote automatically tries again and it always stays running on the second try.
I know I'm wasting gas/money, but it's safer to drive when you're not shivering. ;-)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hey , the wife's '01 Mazda Tribute fired the first time too . But my '86 carbed GMC pickup is anudder animal ...
--
Snag

Snag wrote:

Hi, -2 deg. is cold? No block heater for the engine? Even -20 deg. is nothing for us up here. Our cold is very, very dry cold.

\
Hey it is 55 and I am freezing my balls off.
If I didn't have a 103 degree hot tub I wouldn't be able to take a naked leak in the yard, ( at 0120)
;-)

The '96 4.0 Ranger growled a bit but fired on about the third turn. The 02 Taurus didn't turn twice before it started.
The furnace ran 10 hours and 38 minutes- - -
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 08:06:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Mine ran 36 hours straight and didn't hold temperature for much of that (3F below thermostat set point for at least 12 hours). We only see temperatures that "low" every 25 years or so, so it's not a big deal.
On 1/7/2014 10:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Reading your text reminded me of this classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
DrMkLNYKw Beach Boys, Little Deuce Coupe. That said, may have found the problem, dirty connection on the ignition coil, or the ignition module.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/7/2014 10:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I actually calculated the cost of idling and I'm willing to pay the few cents to have a warm car. I also put the seat heater switch in the "on" position to get that started too.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, Driving warms up car faster. My wife's car has auto climate control which blows hot air almost right away. I start engin,e as soon as hi idle speed drops I drive away.

Sure, driving warms the car faster, but I'd still have to be in the cold car while it heated up. As long as I start it early enough, I can go from a nice warm house to a nice warm car with no ice on the windows, etc.

My trucks seats also start warming up on auto start, if it's cold. That's nice. Side mirrors also.
Greg
On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 03:22:59 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I've never had a car, that didn't have something wrong with it, that didn't start, even below -20F. I have had batteries fail, unexpectedly (well, I should have expected) at much higher temperatures but if the car is in good working order it should start at much temperatures *much* below what you've seen.

I don't like them because I've been burned by them killing the battery. No thanks. The wasted gas is a plus. It pisses off the greenies.

Why do you say "them"? Didn't you once say:
"We've had one. That was enough to cure me of that particular laziness."
Liar?
On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 23:47:10 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

It's a well known problem. They (after market) will void warranties.

Stupid? Illiterate? Sure, of course you are.

First - WTF? Where did I say anything about warranties? I quoted a line form one of your posts regarding the "one" remote starter you had and then asked why you said "I've burned by _them_ killing the battery." It was a single vs. multiple question. Did you bring up warranties to avoid answering the specific question I asked?

Mirror mirror on the wall...
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:25:03 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Good lord, what an idiot! They void the warranties because it's a well known problem.

*THEY* kill batteries. It was not a single starter that killed a battery. It's is a common problem with them. *I* had that experience, as well. You *really* are stupid.

Good Lord, you're an idiot.

The typical argument of the lying lefty; IKWYABWAI. You must be another of Malformed's sockpuppets. How does his hand up your ass feel?