Static on telephone line after storm

Page 2 of 2

<snip>
I had the same problem, except it wasn't just static the phones completely QUIT after a particularly rainy spell.
Turned out some of the phone wires were lying on the ground and shorting out on the wet ground after rainy spells (very high water table hereabouts, and rodents had chewed holes in the insulation I guess). I had to re-wire the house.
Good luck.