State water heater question

OK folks...

after spending WAAAAAY too much money (paid a plumber to install it, and it was a PITA install because of the hack job the PO did) I have a new water heater upstairs in my garage. This time it has a drip pan and both the drip pan and the T/P valve drain OUTSIDE not on the upstairs floor!

Question is, what size is the hex on the top of the anode? I know that I don't have a socket big enough to fit it (my set only goes to 1" or

1-1/8") - I'd like to pull it to put some anti-sleaze on it and hopefully I'll remember to inspect it every fall when I drain down the garage. I did have the plumber put ball valves on both hot and cold lines as well as the tank drain. He probably thought I was being anal-retentive but I am hoping never to replace this tank again.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I would suspect you already own this metrology instrument, or a similar model, and that you could have applied it in less time than it took to type in your question:

Richard J Kinch

I'm pretty sure it should be 1 1/8" I checked mine about a month ago and think that's what I used.

Reply to
trader4

Did you try measuring it?

Reply to
Steve Barker

It's 1 1/16"

Reply to
Ermalina

Can't, it's recessed into the housing. easiest way to measure would be to try fitting sockets to it, but my set ends at 1"

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

See my reply to Steve, only thing besides a correctly fitting socket that could measure the hex would be a set of calipers with really long jaws. It's recessed 1" or more below a hole in the sheet steel top.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Please. Just take an impression or rubbing, and measure that. Or use the dividers cleverly disguised as ordinary scissors.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch