State water heater question

OK folks...
after spending WAAAAAY too much money (paid a plumber to install it, and it was a PITA install because of the hack job the PO did) I have a new water heater upstairs in my garage. This time it has a drip pan and both the drip pan and the T/P valve drain OUTSIDE not on the upstairs floor!
Question is, what size is the hex on the top of the anode? I know that I don't have a socket big enough to fit it (my set only goes to 1" or 1-1/8") - I'd like to pull it to put some anti-sleaze on it and hopefully I'll remember to inspect it every fall when I drain down the garage. I did have the plumber put ball valves on both hot and cold lines as well as the tank drain. He probably thought I was being anal-retentive but I am hoping never to replace this tank again.
thanks,
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel writes:

I would suspect you already own this metrology instrument, or a similar model, and that you could have applied it in less time than it took to type in your question:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber684

I'm pretty sure it should be 1 1/8" I checked mine about a month ago and think that's what I used.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

See my reply to Steve, only thing besides a correctly fitting socket that could measure the hex would be a set of calipers with really long jaws. It's recessed 1" or more below a hole in the sheet steel top.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel writes:

Please. Just take an impression or rubbing, and measure that. Or use the dividers cleverly disguised as ordinary scissors.
Did you try measuring it?
--
Steve Barker

"Nate Nagel" < snipped-for-privacy@roosters.net> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

Can't, it's recessed into the housing. easiest way to measure would be to try fitting sockets to it, but my set ends at 1"
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel