State Farm HO Ins. in midwest US

Page 2 of 2
Only to note that, for the latter endeavor, one need not be a fascist politico. It should come naturally to "Most Everyone". :-)

"They will sneak in behind you, while you're not looking ..."

If I hadda nickel for every home that is over-insured, I could maybe afford a nice, little summer home, maybe the entire state of Rhode Island or somesuch.

Thanks for mentioning Farmers. I'd forgotten about them. Worth a try.
Collected 3 Farmers #'s from the yellow pages. 2 had been disconnected. I rang the 3rd 3 times at 2 hour intervals: got only a garbage recording each time. So much for Farmers in this area.
If you've got a good agent, cherish him/her. Most of these folks are in the business to collect payments and refuse service (in 1 way or another).
Cheers, P
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller
Puddin' Man writes:

The rationale is simple. As civilization and the economy advances, not everything stays the same proportionate price. Some things get proportionately more expensive and some cheaper. Intangibles and services become more expensive, while hard goods get cheaper. Cheap insurance/banking/lawyers/doctors are a sign of a bad economy.

I would argue the opposite for insurance companies. When the economy is really good, rate tend to go down to get more money because they can make more off of investments then underwriting. The economy goes South the rates go u.

Award #1: For the most grossly simplistic economic notions I have encountered in many a moon.
Award #2: You are "Their Man". If the economy is full of such folks, they can financially gut-and-filet us with impunity.
It'll never cease to amaze me the extent to which many folks will swallow abuse after they've been conditioned to have crazy stuff crammed down their throats. Not that it doesn't happen to me as well, but at least I'll never fail to feel insulted, abused, etc. Maybe even *try* to find an alternative.
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller
We have Allstate, same sort of situation as you. No claims, no damage, no problems, and our swent up too.
I personally think they are making up fr Katrina.
--
Kate
______

We had 5 homes & 3 cars insured with State Farm. They did the same thing to us. When It came renewal time for each policy we started shopping around and found we could get the exact same coverage for 25% to 50% less through another company. Apparently State Farm to trying to recoup it's losses from Katrina. We have moved all of our policies from State Farm.. Just last week we received mail from our Sate Farm agent saying they have lowered their rates and they would like us to contact them for a quote... FAT CHANCE. I'll NEVER use State Farm again. Shop around and ask friends and neighbors who they use. I'm sure you can get the exact same coverage from another company for a lot less.
Good Luck,
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

The coverage increase seems a bit low -- assuming you have replacement cost coverage on your home, has the cost of construction really gone up that much slower than inflation in your area?
As for the premium increase, that could be any number of factors.
The investment environment is one -- Insurance companies often take in slightly less in premium than it actually costs them to adjust and pay claims. They make it up with the return on the money between when you pay the premium and when they pay out for a claim. But when their investment returns go down, they need to get more of their costs from their customers.
Changing legal environment is another, e.g. when the black mold hysteria broke out several years back, insurance companies were suddenly paying out claims that they had never expected when setting rates.
Still, there's nothing that says every insurance company is experiencing the same investment results or the same claims environment, so it's quite possible you could get the same coverage for less with another company.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/