Starting possible deck work in the winter?

Greetings ~

Now that my heat works I am thinking of project #2. I want to build a ground level deck, about 8 x 10 in the backyard.

It needs to be ground level because the area where it will be is next to the bulkhead for the basement.

I have ten 8 foot long 6 x 6 PT wood for the base that was formerly a sandbox.

The temp is warm enough now that I can level the ground and remove what grass remains, so I figured that was a good start. Then I would lay down fabric and the PT wood. I would wait until the spring for the laying of the decking.

I know that a ground level deck just floating on the ground is not ideal, however I have heard of many small decks made in this manner. Thoughts on this method?

I am also considering having my driveway done over - as the asphalt is a mess. The proposed deck area is off the driveway to the left - thoughts on simply having the area of the deck asphalted instead of putting in the deck? Additional costs estimates for doing so?

I am in prelim stages, and learning, so any input is appreciated. Thanks,

Bluesman

Reply to
hotblues20

Why make a ground level deck? It is a good hiding place for skunk, rodents, insect. it is dark to sustain mold growth. It must be stained or painted or otherwise cared for.

Consider a cement or some sort of masonry patio. Less maintenance, cleans with a hose or broom, no staining or treating. Decks make a lot of sense if they are raised a couple of feet or more. Mine is 8 feet high off the kitchen, but under it I have a cement patio. It will not rot, and I've done no upkeep like I must on the deck.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski