starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?
Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start holes int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?
Or do they just drill a hole first.
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 8:59:20 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Yes...if it's Styrofoam!

Both, depending on the project. Sometimes you need both peices, and you DON'T want a round hole in either of them. Then you cannot use a drilled starter hole.
On 7/15/2015 9:59 PM, micky wrote:

saw back at me many times, before the cut is established. I try to use slow speed, and hold the saw so the tip tooth drags across the wood surface.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/15/2015 9:59 PM, micky wrote:

I've done both. With a good saw and the right blade it is not difficult.
On 07/15/2015 07:59 PM, micky wrote:

Sure. A steady hand and light touch helps.
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 9:59:20 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Depending on the project, I might start my cut with this and then move on to the sabre saw:
http://www.harborfreight.com/Variable-Speed-Oscillating-Multi-Tool-61219.html
Depending on the thickness of the sabre saw blade, you may still need to do a plunge cut, but you'll have a guide as well as less material to plunge through.