Star on your house or garage?

Page 1 of 2
What's this new fad of putting a star on your house. When I first saw it I thought a general lived there. Then I saw another and another and thought 'are all the generals retiring here'?. Now there are hundreds around this area. What's up with that?
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
✖
Well, around here in PA, we have them Its a PA dutch thing.. We have ours on the garage... A really big one!!!! Handmade by the Amish out of wood. most are tin though.
SD
Add pictures here
✖
on 2/28/2008 8:38 PM SHOPDOG said the following:

What happened to the Hex and Distelfinks?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
on 2/28/2008 8:30 PM Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 :) said the following:

Don't know. My neighbor has a large red one on the side of his house facing the driveway. It was his wife's idea and purchase. I humorously asked him if they were communists. I said 'at least you could light up up for Christmas'.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 :) wrote:

Good question, I have 2 of them on my house and I don't know why. Kevin
Add pictures here
✖
28 Feb 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

Here in Texas, they are called "Texas Stars", and they based on the state flag. The ones with a circle around them (called a "tire" for some reason) are reminiscent of the badges worn by Texas Rangers. They're a tradition here. For some reason, they've become very popular lately.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

I guess each state has a different reason for them. Here in N.E. Ohio they are a sign that a military member lived/lives there. Silver star for active, gold star signifies that a military member gave his/her life. My sister has 2 silver stars. Agree with the war or not, God bless our troops!
Add pictures here
✖
Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 :) wrote:

Those are Texans, and it is the LoneStar. Texans are always proud to display their state symbol. When I first started reading this, I couldn't figure out how you could be so dense! Then I realized that I was in a national newsgroup, and not in one of my local ones. I had you pegged as a real Yankee, for sure!
:-)
In fact, I am surprised that you have them anywhere but Texas (if you are). They are so numerous here, that you can buy them at the convenience store. Maybe the fashion is moving outwards from here.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
on 2/28/2008 10:10 PM Robert Allison said the following:

Isn't the Texas lone star white? I wouldn't think that a real Texan would put a red star on his house. My neighbor was born and raised in New York and his wife is from Chile. The Chilean flag is almost like the Texas state flag. Maybe she thought it was a Chilean thing, but her star is still not white.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

The one on the flag is white, but around here, a star is any color. I have seen black, white, blue, silver.... If its a star, its the Lonestar of Texas. I can't remember seeing red, but I will look around and see. I know that I have seen burnt orange, cuz that is the Texas Longhorns colors.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

According to his/hers posting IP they are in Waterville, Maine. So the Star of Texas probably wouldn't be all over their neighborhood.

--

I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org
G. Morgan wrote:

Well, it could. To the residents of Waterville, perhaps the Texas Star, like the cross on the neighborhood church, represents the abiding faith that someday they'll get to Texas. If not them, at least their children or their grandchildren.
It's common for immigrants to adopt the slogan: "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could."
The Lone Star flag represents the unique history of the state. Texas is the only state that was an independent republic at the time it joined the union. Texas became a state as a result of a treaty between soverign nations, not by conquest or purchase.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote: ...

That, of course, is the sanitized version...having just finished Sherman's and Grant's memoirs over the winter with their careers both beginning in the period prior to the Civil War, there's more to learn... :)
✖

Did he really write these in Saranac Lake, NY? I lived there and understand from locals he was there for the fresh air (lung aliment?). Large porches with patients sitting in the open air. -- Oren
Add pictures here
✖
Oren wrote:

The last several months of his life were spent there, yes. He actually was suffering throat cancer. The bulk of the volumes had been previously written but he had a time of a few months during which his condition improved sufficiently he was able to complete the last chapter or so and make some editorial changes to the final volume while there.

✖

Not sure what the homes were called (infirmaries). Homes where built purposely with large porches. Patients went there for the mountain air and nursing.
Beautiful place. I lived in view of Saranac Lake. Stayed at the bed and breakfast while we bought a home.
-- Oren
Add pictures here
✖
G. Morgan wrote:

That's right, what has the star of Texas have to do with New England?
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
✖
Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 :) wrote:

Maybe you have a lot of Texans that moved there. Maybe you have one Texan that put one on his house and the fashion caught on without any of the rest knowing why, they just liked it. Maybe you have a guy that sells Texas Lonestars and decided that he didn't just have to sell them in Texas. Maybe people just like stars. I know we just love 'em round these parts.
Y'all have a nice day now, ya hear?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

I wouldn't look too hard for true meaning. This retired Texan who emigrated to Maine (only for the view) has seen these stars often here but they all carried the ubiquitous message "made in China."
Boden
Add pictures here
✖
Boden wrote:

Better than a souvenir from the U.S.S. Arizona stamped "Made In Japan."
Add pictures here
✖